Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stem cell therapy still in a nascent stage, say experts

My name J for Joe + hope. Is because hope is what keeps me alive and hanging on. Without hope I have nothing. Knowing someone is working toward a treatment, that someone cares, that one day I can be a bit better.... well without that I would never have agreed to have the surgery that fused the vertebrae that stabilized my spinal cord. I would have chose a death with dignity than a life with limits that burdened my family.
    Han: "We are all ready to win, just as we are born knowing only life. It is defeat that you must learn to prepare for"

I have just read a novel in which the polarity of the US is highlighted. Fanatacism or passionate? Who knows, but bigotry in any shape or form is unacceptable. I think the councilor who recently managed to get a bunch of judges to declare that the inclusion of a short prayer at meetings is unlawful is a bigot. These prayers are not compulsory, and never have been. I went to school in the 1950s and prayers at assembly were just accepted, but those whose consciences indicated otherwise were fully respected, and the religious element was excused.

That, to me, summarises what is, or apparently was, good about the British way; tolerance. All the "progressive" liberals will succeed in doing is introduce divisiveness and polarise our society in the way that sadly mars the public life of the great USA.
    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Quote Originally Posted by keeping on View Post
    Jhope, I agree with what you are saying except christian belief. the right wing and "christian fanaticals" are merely burgermiesters. Science and the immense savings to our forward reduction in costs of these diseases will be the defining issues defining cures. Obama will open the gates further and the science now progressing will continue. wise 's presentation at his February meeting already shows the develoment of therapies for us. Other therapies with stem cells on humans are already showing up. It is a struggle and many of us won't see cures. some of us will. future generations will benefit from these therapies, make no mistake about it.

Anthony
    Absolutely right Anthony. My worry is that Democrats may defect away from Obama because things haven't gone fast or far enough for them. While not going Republican, they may look (all to human) for a yet newer and more radical light, an act which will further weaken Obama.

1. The continued presence of both the US and UK forces in Afghanistan is becoming increasingly dubious. I could understand Desert Storm, which was (grudgingly) accepted by mainstream Arab opinion, but everything since has been at best politically contentious, and worst an economic disaster on both sides of the Atlantic. Let's pray that we don't get sucked into Syria - a problem for the UAL in the first instance, and if that fails the UN, without the tacit belief that, yet again, NATO, and the lives of our exceptional and very brave servicemen will be on unquestioning tap. It has been rightly said that it is impossible to invade terrorism.
    2. On the religious side of this thread, the truly appalling aspect to the stem cell debate is nothing to do with morals and everything to do with disinformation. It is obviously, and totally absurd to state that embryos are wrecked to further stem cell research, or that blastocysts feature in all such science: shame on church leaders for not attempting to get to the truth. Incidentally, the Darwin discussion is totally irrelevant to this debate.
    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Are stem cells going to be what helps any of us with chronic sci anyway? We have been told probably not by some experts but of course others still hold up stem cells as the holy grail.

I believe that if Obama gets relected, the faucet will be turned on for research. It is obvcilusly the right thing to do. the Republican stanc e agains t it is equivalent to the middle ages. they lowed thing s down to a crawl as Wise said in the past. We must endure this as time is not on our side. the one thing that will help our cause right now is to see real definitve results from current trials. wise and Stem Cell Inc for spional cord and other trials for other infirmites. Silvers work must take place soon and prove effective. Results will preclude amy potical rangling but must show efficay soon, real soon.

anthony

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by keeping on View Post
    I believe that if Obama gets relected, the faucet will be turned on for research. It is obvcilusly the right thing to do. the Republican stanc e agains t it is equivalent to the middle ages. they lowed thing s down to a crawl as Wise said in the past. We must endure this as time is not on our side. the one thing that will help our cause right now is to see real definitve results from current trials. wise and Stem Cell Inc for spional cord and other trials for other infirmites. Silvers work must take place soon and prove effective. Results will preclude amy potical rangling but must show efficay soon, real soon.

anthony
    Not that I believe him but Gingrich seemed to be a champion of stem cell research. Obama like everyone else says what it takes to get asked to the dance then dances with every one else.