Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stem cell therapy still in a nascent stage, say experts

Stem cell therapy still in a nascent stage, say experts

Stem cell therapy still in a nascent stage, say experts

R. Sujatha

CHENNAI: Stem cell therapy is the newest medical fad in town among those who know a little science. Stem cell therapy has caught the imagination as the final answer to curing diseases.

Claims have been made about making a paraplegic walk. And on the other end of the spectrum is the cosmetic appeal of the therapy, where organisations claim they can help hair grow back on a bald pate.

Scientists researching in stem cell therapy say that in theory a number of diseases can be cured, but in practice, success has been achieved in a few areas only.

Experienced doctors, however, point out that the therapy is still in a nascent stage. At the country’s premier institutions such as the All India Institute of Medical Sciences, trials are being conducted. Though theoretically stem cell therapy can be used to cure anything from simple injuries to diseases such as heart attack, stroke, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, muscular dystrophy or paraplegia, for researchers, the ability to investigate the function of a stem cell is more important.

more...

http://www.thehindu.com/2008/09/21/s...2158930300.htm

''Alok Srivastava, head of the Centre for Stem Cell Research at Christian Medical College, Vellore, who recently met medical students and doctors at the Gastroenterology Department of Stanley Medical College, dwelt at length on the hype around stem cell therapy. Because of their unique proliferation and regenerative properties, stem cells are being considered for treating various diseases in humans. Claims of cure abound because stem cells are easily available and the technology is simple.''

Alok Srivastava, head of the Centre for Stem Cell Research at Christian Medical College? WTF?

THAT'S LIKE BEING HEAD OF RACE RELATIONS IN THE KKK.
    Last edited by jhope; 09-22-2008 at 06:18 PM.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by jhope
    ''Alok Srivastava, head of the Centre for Stem Cell Research at Christian Medical College, Vellore, who recently met medical students and doctors at the Gastroenterology Department of Stanley Medical College, dwelt at length on the hype around stem cell therapy. Because of their unique proliferation and regenerative properties, stem cells are being considered for treating various diseases in humans. Claims of cure abound because stem cells are easily available and the technology is simple.''

Alok Srivastava, head of the Centre for Stem Cell Research at Christian Medical College? WTF?

Yeah you are right, it doesn't help us.

This article is hopefull:

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/technology/5033371

Quote Originally Posted by jhope

LOL!!! Who the f**k is this scrub? Maybe he should GTFO and spread some more of his cancer somewhere else.

Does anyone have an email address?
    No one ever became unsuccessful by helping others out

Quote Originally Posted by Tufelhunden
    LOL!!! Who the f**k is this scrub? Maybe he should GTFO and spread some more of his cancer somewhere else.

Before people go ballistic, please let me point out that the Christian Medical College in Vellore (india) is one of the best medical schools in India and, while I don't know this person, he is sending a very reasonable message. It is true that stem cell therapies are at a nascent stage in India as well as the world.

By the way, saying that stem cell therapies are at a nascent clinical stage does not mean that the sayer is against stem cell research. On the contrary. Most scientists believe that stem cell therapies are very important and must be pursued but are not yet convinced that the therapies will cure everything and anything if they are just transplanted.

There are many people in India that are paying a lot of money for therapies that are unproven. Unfortunately, most of the places that are charging money for stem cell therapies have little interest in doing the studies that would provide convincing data that their particular stem cell therapies are safe and beneficial.

It distressing that Christians have now become identified as those who oppose stem cell research and therapies. Most Christians are not against stem cell therapies. Even Catholics and evangelical Christians are not against all stem cell therapies.

By the way, I am not immune to testimonials either. When I was in Madison, a number of people came to me, showing photographs of their children who have benefitted from a variety of stem cell therapies. It is hard to explain some cases where children with cerebral palsy, aspergillosis, and other conditions have improved dramatically after a single course of stem cell therapies.

They ask me what they can do to help. I tell them that it is critical that they encourage the doctors to collect before and after data that would convince other doctors that the therapy works. It is important not only to know about cases that are successful but cases that have failed. If a therapy is effective only in 1 out of 100 cases, this is important to know.

Wise.

[quote=Wise Young]Before people go ballistic, please let me point out that the Christian Medical College in Vellore (india) is one of the best medical schools in India and, while I don't know this person, he is sending a very reasonable message. It is true that stem cell therapies are at a nascent stage in India as well as the world.

quote]

CMC Vellore in India is indeed a good Medical Institution and they have probably the best Rehab Centre in India for Spinal Cord Injury. They must also be treating at least 10,000 Spinal patients a year in their Physical medicine & rehabilitation Dept. I have also visited their Stem Cell lab for Spinal injury this June and they are surely committed in their work.

Dr Alok Shrivastava who i believe is from the Cardiology Dept of CMC also happens to be the Head of the Stem Cell Task Force set up by the Govt of India. But Hopefully while trying to dissuade people from being very optimistic about Stem Cells, He is not letting his scepticism come in the way of the Research.

Rabindra

Quote Originally Posted by Tufelhunden View Post

Since you seem to be clueless about the merit of the hospital and the doctor and has still decided to post ridiculous messages in a public forum, i had to reply to throw some light and EDUCATE you. CMC Vellore is one of the most reputed medical institutions in India as well as in Asia and the centre for stem cell therapy at this hospital is the best in Asia and people all over the continent come here to gte treated. To put it in perspective, you have a waiting period of close to 10 months before u can do a transplant here. And Dr Alok Srivastava is the head of hematology in this hospital and a very respected and renowned doctor himself. Now if you are thinking that this is all second hand information, i am someone who has got treated in this hospital for blood cancer and now cured, and treated by Dr Alok himself,.

So before u post such rubbish on a public forum, pls take the pain to take some time out and check your facts!!

Whoops! Most of us on this forum lack the essential knee-jerk reflex, that would prevent us, if we could actually stand up, from ending up on our rumps on the floor. Perhaps this response from Tufel was a bit of psychological over compensation.

We should all (and I bet I should take my own advice!) read all of what it says on the tin, before rubbishing the contents.
    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

And did not mean to offend anyone and I admit I am wrong . I simply put Christian and nascent stage together because of the endless battle in the political arena in the United States about banning stem cell research . In the American government there is an extreme right wing That panders to people fanatical in their Christian beliefs. That has happened during the bush presidency for over a decade. This still happens today. The difference between religion and science is clear . Science is evidence based meaning that if the evidence is presented and opinion can change . In religious belief a position is taken and no amount of evidence that contradicts it Will ever change that belief . Hence my example The race relations for the KKK Meaning that With a strong opinion Of disliking people of other races Their opinion will always be one side of the matter what the evidence is . If someone believes that stem cells should never be used, No matter what the evidence is they will always believe they should not be .

And I agree with Dr. Young that most of the treatments Are done profit based and not as a study To gather evidence to be presented to show its efficacy . That being said If even one out of 100 children benefit from the treatment I would not wish that to stop especially if that one was my child .
    Last edited by jhope; 03-29-2012 at 11:24 AM.
    Han: "We are all ready to win, just as we are born knowing only life. It is defeat that you must learn to prepare for"

Jhope, I agree with what you are saying except christian belief. the right wing and "christian fanaticals" are merely burgermiesters. Science and the immense savings to our forward reduction in costs of these diseases will be the defining issues defining cures. Obama will open the gates further and the science now progressing will continue. wise 's presentation at his February meeting already shows the develoment of therapies for us. Other therapies with stem cells on humans are already showing up. It is a struggle and many of us won't see cures. some of us will. future generations will benefit from these therapies, make no mistake about it.

Anthony