Thread: Are there any ortho ppls here?my options for infected ischial

Exclamation Are there any ortho ppls here?my options for infected ischial

Hye,

T8-T9 complete para here.I had these pressure ulcer since 2005 on both sides of ischial area and went deep till exposing bone throughout 2007.The wound was not big in diameter,it was just as a size of coin.Was on some antibiotics and daily home dressing.Since it taking forever,went to see my dr during 2007 and he did an xray which showed nothing on my bone so he just cut some bad tissues etc and told me to continue dressing.Up till now the wound looks inactive,with very little puss alike fluid if sit for long.

Recently i've got one more sore just below the previous one which i'll rate it as 3rd stage but there's a very hollow undermining/sinus that goes right up to the bone,This wound is super clean with pinkish tissues growing all around and getting closer to heal fully BUT i am getting alot of puss alike clear yellow-ish fluid from the undermining/sinus part.Went to see my dr and he refer me to a Ortho Surgeon where he did xray and told me "Tough!it've eat 'em up...."!

He suggest me to be admitted for a surgery to remove a tiny broken bone part which might be causing the clear yellow-ish fluid and preventing the newest wound to heal,clean the eaten up bone part.

Lastly he said this will help heal the wound since we'll be slightly removing the infected ischial part+ IV/antibiotic but once the wound healed,there's chances it'll come back since removing the bacteria 100% is not possible.So here i'm confused and skeptical.I hope to get some real ideas from ppl that been thrugh this,ppl who are in ortho dept,especially Ortho surgeon if any.

Here's the xray of 2007 & he latest one.

Attachment 30112011084.jpg & 30112011085.jpg (2007)
    Attachment 30112011093.jpg & 30112011097.jpg (Current)
    Last edited by scoty20; 11-30-2011 at 02:06 PM.

Can you share tips for avoiding this in the first place? Did something go wrong somehow to cause the sore, if so do you know what?
    Last edited by xsfxsf; 11-30-2011 at 03:55 PM.

You need to get the infection and necrotic tissue removed and he needs to see if there is osteomyelitis in this Stage IV ulcer and then hopefully the healing can begin.
    CWO
    Last edited by SCI-Nurse; 12-01-2011 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by smashms View Post
    since we can't read x-rays it might be better if you would post pics of the actual wound
    Picture of wound wouldn't show anything other than a fresh pinkish tissues growing all around.I just wanted to know the procedures & options available.

Quote Originally Posted by xsfxsf View Post
    Can you share tips for avoiding this in the first place? Did something go wrong somehow to cause the sore, if so do you know what?
    Actually the ultimate reason of mine will be "sitting for too long & late detection of the wound"

The wound was active on the first 2years,got it checked,xray by doc and he advised to continue dressing,later on it went silent which were the time the "eating up" happened.
    Pure own stupidity or careless i should say.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    You need to get the infection and necrotic tissue removed and he needs to see if there is osteomyelitis in this Stage IV ulcer and then hopefully the healing can begin.
    CWO
    Looking by the wound from the outside,there's no necrotic tissues as per told by the ortho surgeon.He said the puss or should i say some fluid is coming because of the bone infection and the sharp ending of the eaten up bones.Thanks for the advice,will check with him on tuesday.