Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: shingles

Cool shingles

Hey, I would like to know if catching shingles is a common thing in nursing homes? A friend told me that and I'm having a culture done on this blister fluid. It only hurts a little.

You don't catch shingles.
    What Causes Shingles?Shingles is caused by the same virus that causes chickenpox. If you've had chickenpox (over 90% of US adults have), the virus remains in your body and can cause Shingles.The chickenpox virus stays inactive in certain nerves.If the virus becomes active again, usually later in life, it causes the painful disease called Shingles.

CWO

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    You don't catch shingles.
    What Causes Shingles?Shingles is caused by the same virus that causes chickenpox. If you've had chickenpox (over 90% of US adults have), the virus remains in your body and can cause Shingles.The chickenpox virus stays inactive in certain nerves.If the virus becomes active again, usually later in life, it causes the painful disease called Shingles.

CWO
    Why is that? No cure for shingles
    My couach had shingles, it is bad. Is it a STD?

No, not an STD, it's a bizarre latent form of chickenpox. There are treatments if caught early, and now they have a vaccination, but it is only for those 60 and over.

Chickenpox and shingles are caused by one of the herpes zoster family, a virus called varicella zoster. Maybe that's why you thought it was an STD.

The CDC says you can catch it if you're susceptible and come in contact with it. As I read this, you'll actally catch chickenpox if you come in contact w/ shingles lesions and have no immunities to it.

"..Zoster lesions contain high concentrations of VZV that can be spread, presumably by the airborne route (76,77), and cause primary varicella in exposed susceptible persons (77,78--83). Localized zoster is only contagious after the rash erupts and until the lesions crust. Zoster is less contagious than varicella (78). In one study of VZV transmission from zoster, varicella occurred among 15.5% of susceptible household contacts (78). In contrast, following household exposure to varicella, a more recent study demonstrated VZV transmission among 71.5% of susceptible contacts (84). In hospital settings, transmission has been documented between patients or from patients to health-care personnel, but transmission from health-care personnel to patients has not been documented. Persons with localized zoster are less likely to transmit VZV to susceptible persons in household or occupational settings if their lesions are covered (85). .."

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwr...id=rr57e0515_e

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/shi...ents-and-drugs
    Last edited by betheny; 09-21-2008 at 01:21 AM.

If caught in the first few days the oral med works wonders! My Dad had seen it on his Mom at some point so recognized it. His doc had him on the med that afternoon. Pain disappeared within a few days and lesions dried up and were gone in a couple weeks. My MIL didn't catch it and was in pain for several months and had the itching that went with the lesions drying.

I had to have a blood test to see if I had antibodies to chicken pox. No one remembers me ever having it. The other kids yes, me no. I must have had a light case cause I do have antibodies. Do not have the shingles vaccine if you've not had chicken pox.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimi5
    Hey, I would like to know if catching shingles is a common thing in nursing homes? A friend told me that and I'm having a culture done on this blister fluid. It only hurts a little.
    If you believe that you caught this blister-causing bug in a nursing home, be careful, it may be MRSA and not shingles. Only a doctor should pop or invade a blister.

Here are some rather graphic pictures of both shingles and MRSA. They look kinda similar to me but maybe you can see a difference.

Shingles- very graphic

MRSA pictures- very graphic

My neighbor had an outbreak of shingles. The pain almost (or did) brought him to his knees. And he was a big ol' linebacker lookin' guy at 6' 4" and about 250 pounds. I diagnosed his pain as kidney stones (hey, he asked me what I thought it could be... Dr. Bob!) but as it turned out, his real doctor diagnosed it as shingles.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

The virus sets in to nerves, face, back, anywhere on body and the pain can be excruciting but there is treatment. You need a complete work up for the proper viral treatment. many use the lidoderm patches and put on top of the area and this deadens that area.Need to change every 12 hours.

CWO

CWO

The virus sets in to nerves, face, back, anywhere on body and the pain can be excruciting but there is treatment. You need a complete work up for the proper viral treatment. many use the lidoderm patches and put on top of the area and this deadens that area.Need to change every 12 hours.

CWO

CWO
    I just started using the Lidoderm patches for the burning feet problem. The doc told me 12 hours on and 12 off. Is that just for neuro pain or all applications? I just saw where it's been used for lower back pain and was going to tell my Dad about them. He's too stubborn to take pain meds. This is not from shingles. That only effected half his face and shoulder and thankfully no where near his eye.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Lidoderm patches are generally 12 on and 12 off. It is not just for neuro pain but for all uses.
    CKF

Lidoderm patches are generally 12 on and 12 off. It is not just for neuro pain but for all uses.
    CKF
    Thanks. I can deal with days but nights are murder. In between I can use a licocaine cream that is 4% but non-prescription and a small tube runs $33. Those patches are great. And soft. I thought a patch would make my feet spaze like crazy. Nope. Nice soft, almost flannel cover and can be cut to fit. I use one patch on each sole closer up towards toes than heels. Then cut part of another into two strips for my big toes.

I'll pass on the info to my Dad who probably will use it during the day. Thanks again.