Thread: Stem cell break through Belgium

Stem cell break through Belgium

http://www.eurogates.nl/en_european_...ation/id/1007/

Maybe this would make McCain cause less damage to ESC research, if elected?

"Dr Van de Velde stresses this is a very important breakthrough: "There are a number of countries, including Italy, United States and Switzerland, where it's not possible to do stem cell research - but if turns out that we can save the embryo it should open doors for stem cell research in these countries as well."

(Not formulated exactly correct I know, but still?)
    Last edited by topperf; 09-20-2008 at 05:40 AM.

Topper, this method is already allowed under federal law.

http://www.whitehouse.gov/dpc/stemcell/2007/index.html
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

Thank you Steven.
    But doesn't it solve some of the Religious/ethic problems ESC research have faced?

It does for some people, but not all. The argument against is that modifying the embryo at that early stage will necessarily change the person from what would have been if the embryo were never disturbed. The difference could be better or worse, but there's currently no way of knowing which it will be. Biopsying an embryo to extract stem cells is therefore seen as subjecting it to an unnatural risk for a purpose other than directly benefiting the embryo.

To my knowledge, neither McCain nor Palin hold this view. McCain will likely maintain the Bush policy, so this would be allowed.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

In any case by this method there is not genetically similar unlike therapeutical clonining with your skin cell kernel use. Thus for medical practice in future i don't see any usefull sides. Although i hav'nt knowledges what ECS need for experemntal works and for development of diffirntiate process. May be it's breakthrough only for experiment things?

Quote Originally Posted by topperf
    Thank you Steven.
    But doesn't it solve some of the Religious/ethic problems ESC research have faced?
    please don't equate religion with ethics. it's a religeous problem with right wing christians