Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where do you put things?

You are on a roll Debra! Thanks to all for the ideas. I'll ponder and see if I can come up with something that is functional and presentable. Another factor is that we're trying to get the house ready to sell and would like for it to show better than a hospital.

Debra, your other post also made me laugh. Having had 3 older brothers, I can relate to everything except the dancing. It wouldn't have mattered how much I paid -- no way that was going to happen!

LOL - Isn't it great that we all knew immediately what 'thingies' were - even when there different thingies being talked about!

Martha, don't ever, ever apologize for what hubbie can and can't do. Everybody's different, and there's no judgement here!

The two twin beds pushed together sounds like it might work for you guys - what do you think?

Marie2 - Welcome! Thought I saw a new face - er, name, here! Glad you've joined us, and thanks for sharing!

Jackie

Just wanted to confirm on some of your ideas girls.

We have found out that a cart-style three drawer tower holds hubby's supplies, weekly meds dispenser had to be replaced after year and half because it fell apart, but he wouldn't go any other way. Phone, drink, remotes, light and books are on his end table. He has an extra lamp for reading that stands by itself next to the bed and has three adjustable/swivel lights. Everything extra is in closets or in his bathroom. I check about once every week or two what needs refilled or he tells me - things he can't get himself. Great thing that he can roll over easily, he uses space under bed for his models, books, etc.

Now my only thing is to move the hospital bed out of the living room... but he is already cluttring the place where it was suppose to be put in.
    Anyways, everybody who comes to our house is pretty much used to seeing hospital bed in the living room and caths in the garbage cans occasionally...

Oh, and one more thing we found really usefull... since he doesn't fit under computer desk, the wireless keyboard and mouse seem to be a great helpers for his on-line time (could work great for those would like to use desktop computer while in bed?).

See...this is the best thing about this place...you guys have given me some ideas to help us adapt our so called "bedroom" while Bill recovers from his pressure sore and you didn't... even... know it... you were answering someone elses question and helped us in the process.

And Martha... your man and mine sound like they have alot in common mobility wise, Bill is 56 and I don't know if he has arthritis or not (probably not) just doesnt't bend and stretch like he used to...(once he fell out of bed doing a tranfer and all the kids and I tried valiantly to help him back into bed...if we all had beards we would have gathered in a semi-circle stroking them going "Hmmmmmm...." trying to come up with a solution to the dilemma...we got him up there alright, it was definitley a team effort but our sides hurt when we were done from laughing so hard...) could use a laugh like that right now! Our closet looks like a clean utility supply room its so full of med supplies..Oh well even if I could get to my clothes most of them don't fit me any more anyway...

And yes I know exactly what "thingees" are Marm.....

By the way our dog Shady is still nawing on her leg from time to time, sure wish some one could tell me why.....

Thanks all...be well
    Obie

We just moved into a new house, and already everything is a mess. I think the bedroom is the only room without a ton of clutter in it, but thats because its all in the living room. The wireless mouse and keyboard is a great idea, he keeps dropping the keyboard off his lap while using it, very frustrating. The kitchen is my big problem, so if anyone has any good ideas for storage, that would be really cool. We have everything that would normally be in an upper cabinet on the counter top. Things are everywhere because I dont want to have to come running because he cant reach stuff. I was thinking of adding another storage area on the other side of the kitchen (where a table would normally go) so that everything is out of the way, but that may need to wait til after christmas. If you have any better ideas please share, because I cant even cut up vegies on the counter right now because of the clutter. Thanks again guys

Good question. We have the same problem. The lower cabinets are too low and the uppers are too high, so my counter tops look like yours. Does anyone have a normal looking home?

Hi!
    I´m a T6, i found very usefull this reachers, that way i can grab things from the bed, and in the kitchen....

http://ezee-reachersupply.com/

Berny.

I think debra and martha ought to go into business, with the rest of us as cheerleader/consultants. Not completely kidding! Improvising should not be necessary when so many people face the exact same problems.

Why not a product line just for us?

For my son, we use an open baby changing table. We got a plexiglas divided box with lids from ToysRus. It holds creams, lotions, q-tips, syringes, tape, etc. The plexi glass means you can see in. The open table allows for "stuff" on the top and bottom shelf with easy reach. Frequent cloths changes are put on the top shelf for easy retrieval. This by passes the dresser drawer and the need for pull out space.

We use the pockets on the bed, both foot and headboard. Kids have "junk" that just has to be with them. They are responsible for putting away and retrieving.The pockets are good for books, remote controls, etc.
    Don't wake me because you can't reach your water! Even though my son is past the "sip cup" stage, he uses a Johnson and Johnson, no spill cup. He can leave it on the mattress and not a bit drops out. This was a major fix for us. No more wet sheets from water bottles.

At an Ability Expo I saw hydrolic cupboards that lower down. They are slick looking, mount flush, easy to open, etc. All you have to do is push the button and they drop down. The cupboards are mounted on the wall and do away with counter clutter. I think I have their website if anyone is interested.

Anyone with suggestions for the IV pole and the red syringe box?

"A hero is an ordinary individual who finds the strength to persevere and endure in spite of overwhelming obstacles"....C. Reeve 1998