Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: I just got pushed for the first time

I just got pushed for the first time

I was at school heading from one class to another, and this girl from behind me said "hey you want me to push" "no thanks, I'm fine" "are you sure, I am right behind you" i should have seen it coming there I guess "no I am good" so then of course she starts to push me... wtf luckily I wasnt in a down stroke when she started to push, so I didnt end up falling into my lap (no abs), and I grabbed the hand rims to slow down so that she let go.

What drives people to do this, its so weird? I dont even have push handles on the back of my chair, so she must have just been pushing on the chair back.

I just really dont know why people do this... Did she think that I might not make it if she didnt push?

God, I hope I dont look like I am struggling that much, I am usually going faster than ABs on that stretch (got to wait on 3 elevators and go about a half mile in 15 minutes between classes).

someone enlighten me.

did any of you ever push someone randomly when you were AB?

All the time. I used to always offer to cath people too.

"Yo, you got that? I have a bendy straw here if you need a hand."

lol, nice...

I guess it would have only been polite for me to pull her onto my lap and push her to wherever she was going

Yesterday I was on the greenway we have here. A guy passed me on his bike. Got off and came back to push me. At first I thought I was about to get robbed or something. he asked me twice if he could help push me. Fianlly I said Dude this is an exercise trail. I am here to exercise and get some air. If you push me what is the point? I don't know why some people do that.

funklab - Take it as a compliment, she thought you were cool and wanted to interact.

addiesue - what guy could pass you by?

But I know what you both are talking about. The only time I welcome someone pushing my chair is when I am going from one late night spot to another. The help allows me to concentrate on the night sky and the beverage in my hand. I have often returned the favor by allowing a tired pusher to sit on my lap while I wheel.

Wait, there is another circumstance - actually two.

1. Impossibly steep inclines were bending steeply at the waist is all that prevents a back-flip.

2. Serving as a human/chair hand truck to move heavy objects that require both hands to keep on your lap.

It's times like the above that I wish I could make push handles magically appear on my chair. People using your shoulders to propel you really works the abs if you want to stay on the chair. But the touch is nice on those late night fun rolls.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

Was she cute?

People are nice, silly asses.

They're bubbling along, feeling a vague but incessant need to express how wonderful and giving they are.

They see you pushing your wheelchair; an obviously impaired and struggling human. ( "If I push him I'll assuage some of this need to express the milk of human blindness and everybody will see how blind I am.")

They push you. They may go through the unnecessary formality of asking before commencing but your wishes are, after all, entirely secondary to the grand scheme of things where they're 'doing something good'; and what makes a person feel better than helping a cripple?

And then you, you ungrateful bastard that you are, stop them and say something totally uncalled for.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Think about it

Try to remember before your injury and put yourself in their shoes. If I was walking behind someone and seen a person in a wheelchair in front of me, I would just ask if they would mind if I pushed them since I was right behind them. I would think it was just helping that person out and not even think for a minute that it was an insult of any kind. I remember right after my injury and my friends would start pushing me when we were going into a store or just wheeling along somewhere. When I told that I didn't need their help I felt bad because they would feel like they cross the line and insulted me in someway. After thinking about if I was in their shoes, I would of done the some thing. Now if someone ask I will let them if they keep asking, but my first responds is "no I got, but thanks". But you know how people are, they are already doing it when they start to ask and even if you say "No" they do it anyway. I just let people do it unless I don't like them for some reason, then I insist them to let go.

Quote Originally Posted by danielgr
    But you know how people are, they are already doing it when they start to ask and even if you say "No" they do it anyway. I just let people do it unless I don't like them for some reason, then I insist them to let go.
    And then they hit a hole or rock they didn't see and out you go. I don't like feeling out of control of myself.
    I have been known to give a friend a friendly push on the back when they were in front of me. She turned around and I said Oh I thought you needed help moving out of my way. She was always trying to help me without asking even after I told her don't push me it makes me feel like a grandma. I wouldn't recommend doing this to strangers though.

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old
    addiesue - what guy could pass you by?

But I know what you both are talking about. The only time I welcome someone pushing my chair is when I am going from one late night spot to another. The help allows me to concentrate on the night sky and the beverage in my hand. I have often returned the favor by allowing a tired pusher to sit on my lap while I wheel.

Wait, there is another circumstance - actually two.

1. Impossibly steep inclines were bending steeply at the waist is all that prevents a back-flip.

2. Serving as a human/chair hand truck to move heavy objects that require both hands to keep on your lap.

It's times like the above that I wish I could make push handles magically appear on my chair. People using your shoulders to propel you really works the abs if you want to stay on the chair. But the touch is nice on those late night fun rolls.
    Thanks foolish.
    And I agree on the above. Usually it seems on these instances you have to seek someone out. Why does it always work that way?

I have fold down push handles. I love them.