Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IF someone just needed an hour in a.m

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

IF someone just needed an hour in a.m

i have a guy on my rugby team who is ind except for dressing before work(suit/tie), no prob w/ shorts on weekends, thats it, what would he look for in a caregiver,. basically 1hr 5 days week

fuente, where is "he" located? City? State?

More details will probably provide better responses.

cleveland ohio

Gosh, that's a tough one - hard to get someone motivated for just 1 hour a week. But perhaps the timing could be that he gets someone to come in before their regular 'day job' to help him out. I'd do the usual, post in local newspapers; if there's a hospital or rehab center nearby, post and ad on their bulletin board.

Will he be doing a self-pay? He may have to offer a higher than usual amount to motivate someone to do this.

What about in the evening? Can he undo the tie himself?

Orrrr - Have him check into adaptable clothing that he might be able to handle on his own with the use of splints and things. Rolli-Moden has some things.

Here's a link to some websites that may help:

http://carecure.org/forum/showpost.php?p=168001

WELL, hes says hes tried, he can do it but takes a few hours. i thought an agency would be better, because its such little help. hes just finalizing a new home purchase. 31 lived at home, wants not to ask ma and pops for help anymore, i can undeerstand that.

I don't know that an agency would send someone for an hour - he'll have to call around and ask.

Do have him check out the clothing sites, tho - there are some great pieces of adaptive clothing out there!

if there is a physical therapy school around him he could put up a notice for a student, maybe trade room for services. could get help with rom that way and have help available at night.

absolutly doesnt need any one at night, certainly wouldnt want someone living w/ him. he has family for emergencies.
    i find it odd that help could be hard to find geez really doesnt need hardly anything.

Fuente, That's just the point - unfortunately. "He hardly needs any help".

Think of it from the perspective if you were an aide - would you take a job for an hour a day, for perhaps, oh $10, that would involve travelling to the one hour job, then leaving and going wherever? Hardly worth the gas money.

It's been difficult for us to find evening help for our son, even at 2 1/2 - 3 hours a night. It's just not worth it for folks to do it.

Sorry I can't be more help.

I've found that it's harder to find someone when you need very little assistance. Few agencies will send someone for such a short period of time; the minimum is usually four hours per day. Also, some agencies will not accept private pay, and many insurance companies will not cover "custodial care" -- bathing, dressing, etc. The best solutions have already been stated -- place an ad in a newspaper or post something at a local college.

I lucked out recently because another SCI person lives very close to me. I used her aide -- she came to me after finishing up with the other person. Your friend might check out the local independent living center. They often have a pool of PCAs looking to fill gaps in their day.