Thread: As anyone set up their own agency?

As anyone set up their own agency?

This is my situation. I'm a C4-C5, three years post-injury. I'm covered under Worker's Comp and had expected to be close to making a settlement by now. However, no settlement in sight. The agency that provides my care is always sending me dingbats. The problem is the pay is too low to get decent help. Lord knows the insurance company is paying enough, the agency more than doubles what they pay nurses and aides. I don't begrudge them that money, but it does raise the question... why not start your own agency? That way I could pay a living wage to the people that help me and lower costs to the insurance company. I have a business already with a bookkeeper, accountant and all that stuff. My sister is a doctor, my mother a nurse and my brother is a lawyer. It seems likely that combo we have be able to cover all bases.

The insurance company are jerks and refused to allow us to simply hire people ourselves. I figure by making an agency myself they would have no choice but to deal directly with me.

Anyone out there done something like this? I'm in Pennsylvania. Thanks for your help.

Hi Wesley:

I understand this dilemma and your idea of an agency makes some sense. I would like to see how you plan on starting a caregiver agency. I am interested.

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.

PN

Wesley, I seem to remember a post a while ago where someone had done just that - set up their own agency. I've been looking for it and will continue, but if anyone remembers this, give us a hand here!

It sounds like a good idea, but remember if you start your own agency, you're going to have to pay in the employers' share of taxes, workman's comp, etc.

Jackie...I remembered that post as well, and while responding to this, bumped it up and put my response in the original post. Ugh!! How do you moderators do it??

Anyway, Wesley, I hope it helps some. The post is "This was in the public domain but the names have changed."

Vicky

Thank you, Vicky! I knew someone would have a better memory than me!

Wesley, hope this helps. LEt us know how it's going!

I found a reference to setting up a company by BEN.

http://carecure.org/forum/showpost.php?p=49731

I e-mailed him, but haven't gotten a response

Wesley, I hope you have a good attorney on your side. While setting up an agency may be one way to do this, your insurer may still not approve it unless it is JCAHO and Medicare certified. This is a very time consuming and expensive prospect. I would instead work with the attorney to fight the agency requirement and allow you to hire lay people who will follow your direction at a cheaper cost in the long run.

(KLD)