Thread: Ride Designs Cushion & Back

Ride Designs Cushion & Back

Has anyone ever used them? any feedback?
    http://www.ridedesigns.com/index.html

I have been using the Ride Design cushion about 5 months now. I had been doing a lot of butt sweating which was causing small persistent sores. The Ride Design results in 0 sweating and no sores, increased comfort and endurance in sitting. I recommend you get evaluated and fitted by a physical therapist specializing in seating. My PT did pressure mapping 1st to see where my hot spots (pressure) areas were. He then had me do a mold for the cushion which was shipped to the company for fabrication. This takes about a month. He pressure mapped me again in the received cushion and did a little minor carving to meet my needs. I love the cushion.

You will receive a very different type of cushion, when you feel it it seems too firm to be comfortable, but it works great for me. It is quite high in front and makes transfers more difficult but the cushion needs to be this way to take all the pressure on the areas where you can tolerate pressure and no pressure where you can't tolerate it. Best cushion I have ever had and I have had 4 varieties of ROHOs, Stimulite, Isch Dish, etc.

I am using the back and the ride designs forward right now. The back is nice. Adds a little cushion, breathes well. It is thicker than the sling back so it makes me sit a little forward. That took some getting used to. I like it.

The ride designs custom cushion SUCKED. They molded me and the cushion came in. It totally did not fit me or my chair. They shaved the styrofoam or whatever that is off to try to make it fit. I'm thinking why have a custom molded cushion and then take an electric turkey knife (yes it's what he used) and shave it? Finally got the butt part right (kind of) But it was still about 2 inches longer than my J2. I never fit right. They decided it was bc they molded me in a regular chair I transferred to and not my own chair. That or because it was back when I had burns on my legs that maybe I was sitting funny. Remold. Wait Wait some more. 6 months later, same problem. The cushion is hard, you basically balance on top of some styrofoam with a cutout for your butt. The reason there's no pressure is bc your butt is just dangling there. basically in my opinion it is a $1200 piece of styrofoam with a great cover.

Sent it back and got the ride forward. So far I really like it. I like the cushion cover. It is defintely a good idea how they designed the fabric. I sweat a lot less. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue
    I am using the back and the ride designs forward right now. The back is nice. Adds a little cushion, breathes well. It is thicker than the sling back so it makes me sit a little forward. That took some getting used to. I like it.

The ride designs custom cushion SUCKED. They molded me and the cushion came in. It totally did not fit me or my chair. They shaved the styrofoam or whatever that is off to try to make it fit. I'm thinking why have a custom molded cushion and then take an electric turkey knife (yes it's what he used) and shave it? Finally got the butt part right (kind of) But it was still about 2 inches longer than my J2. I never fit right. They decided it was bc they molded me in a regular chair I transferred to and not my own chair. That or because it was back when I had burns on my legs that maybe I was sitting funny. Remold. Wait Wait some more. 6 months later, same problem. The cushion is hard, you basically balance on top of some styrofoam with a cutout for your butt. The reason there's no pressure is bc your butt is just dangling there. basically in my opinion it is a $1200 piece of styrofoam with a great cover.

Sent it back and got the ride forward. So far I really like it. I like the cushion cover. It is defintely a good idea how they designed the fabric. I sweat a lot less. Good luck.
    I think maybe the people who prescribed your cushion did not have enough expertise. I don't understand why an experienced PT would mold you in a chair that wasn't yours. Then the 2nd mold still did not fit the seat of your chair. Something is wrong there. I was pressure mapped and molded at U of M Seating Service and my cushion fits really well. The fabricated cushion is carveable after fabrication as usually the PT will pressure map you in your chair with the new cushion, if he/she sees some hot spots they can remove a little more material. Regarding your comment that the cushion is made of styrofoam - I understand that it's made of patented material. If you wash this cushion under a faucet you will see that the water runs right through it as if it is not even there. Styrofoam would not do that, this material is very breathable.

I had problems with butt sweating and skin deterioration for a couple of years. I had urological surgery to deal with it - no success. Had a repeat colonoscopy to see if some bowel problem was causing the sweating - no answers. Bought a Stimulite Classic Cushion to deal with the problem - no change. Bought an Isch Dish Cushion - cut sweating to some extent. Went to seating clinic and was pressure mapped and Ride Design Custom was prescribed and I was molded. Received cushion and have not sweated or had skin breakdown since. I don't contend this cushion is the answer for everyone but for me it was. I think if you are considering a cushion this expensive you should have a real expert prescribe and fit it.

Ride Designs Custom Cushion

I am on my second Ride Designs Custom cushion. I was fitted for the Custom Ride Designs just before getting pregnant and am happy to say I did not have a SINGLE problem with pressure sores despite my pregnancy weight gain AND working full time! I think that put this cushion to the test! I must say that getting the fit or "mold" right is absolutely crucial with this cushion. Doing so can be time consuming but I feel it's been worth it. I can not speak to the Ride Designs Forward cushion. I am quite bony and short so my PT felt I needed to go with the custom.

My bones shifted as a result of pregnancy. Once I'd lost all the weight gain I started sitting heavy to one side and got a little sore spot. I immediately went to my PT who made some modifications and then initiated a new molding. To make a long story short, they ended up using my old Ride Designs cushion to modify and then use as the mold for my new one. I am on my new one and it is doing fine. The only problem I'm having is that some of the foam beads are crumbling off at the front - not sure if it is the cushions fault or the fault of my toddler who thinks I'm the best step stool in the world. I am going to see my PT next week to have it examined and start evaluation for a new chair.

Be happy to answer any questions about the cushion.