Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: ? Re Name of this Forum

marmalady and everybody, I have been reading this topic almost every day but have not been able to come up with a better name. We love and care, and want to do something. Some give care, some study, and some live with spinal cord injury. Also, caregivers need care. I thought of renaming it "Caring" forum... I don't know. Wise.

My apologies, but as much as I value the opinions of all here, I still don't see any need to change. The name of the forum is Caregiving, not Caregivers. Don't we all give "care" be it full time, part time, occasionally, physically, emotionally, or whatever? My unsolicited personal opinion is the "Caring" is just too generic. I vote with Obi I think it was who said "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I wanted to add my 2 cents; I do not post here because I am not a caregiver. I almost feel it would be insulting to my husband, who is fully independent, if I did post here. I feel like my involvement in this board would be claiming I am something that I am not. For the most part I don't even know what is talked about in here.

I don't want to be my husband's caregiver, just his wife. I do think it would be neat if they named this post something that related to those in the person with SCIs life. I think it would broaden the base of people contributing, but that might not be your goal. Instead of just caregivers it would include people like friends, family, aides, concerned neighbors, children, grandchildren, teachers. I think we could learn a lot if it was a very open board for all those in the persons life.

What all that said, for what its worth, I think "caring" is too much like care. Could go in the direction of "supporters" or "community"

MoodyMcMoody

Mary, I don't want to be my husband's caregiver either -- I would love to be just his wife. But that isn't the case. However, that's beside the point.

Again, I would stress that the name of this forum is Caregiving and not "Caregivers". To me there is actually a difference between the two words. The subheading is "Problems, Solutions, Triumphs". I can't imagine why anyone would avoid the forum based upon either the primary name nor upon the subheading. To my knowledge, everyone who has posted here has been welcomed no matter if they are family, friend, acquaintance, aide, SCI or just an interested by-stander.

I guess the bottom line is that I don't understand why there is a need to change something that has worked for over 2 years.

No need to change it on my account, I was giving my personal impressions. If you are posting under caregiving it implies your are a caregiver. It isnt two totally diffrent words. I dont feel like posting under caregiving. Maybe this forum IS JUST for those who do give care, and if so thats fine. I am sure it is a great deal of stress and issues I do not face. But if it is really for all those involved in the life of a person with SCI, the name of the forum is misleading.

MoodyMcMoody

How about calling it "Friends, Family, and Caregivers"? Or something like that?

Don't piss me off or I'll run over your toes.

Martha,

Are you talking to me, because if you are, I am not sure why. I did not post anything here, although I hope you are doing ok these days. We all have to perform levels of care for those we know and love at times. I happen to agree with you, and I think the forum name is fine. I just hope we can preserve the forum as a place for those who need to come and ask questions and feel comfortable. Opening your experiences, good and bad to others is a wonderful gift you give to those in need.

I hope you are ok...

Mary

Marmalady - As you know I have been on both sides of the "Caregiving" fence and believe the name of this forum should remain as is. Everyone is a caregiver, even when you and your spouse or SO is AB. If you care for them you are a caregiver.

This forum, IMO, was created and has been a wonderful resource for all caregivers. Sharing each other's fears and triumphs in the daily lives in our SCI world has been the goal of this forum and it would be a shame to second guess the name after all this time.

"A rose, by any other name would still smell as sweet" as authored by Shakespeare is very appropriate here. At this special time of the year I think everyone should turn to their caregiver, whether you are AB or not, and say thanks for being there.

"And so it begins."

Mary, although it's nice to "see" you, I have to admit that you didn't cross my mind at all when I was writing. Now I can't even imagine what you thought I was writing that had to do with you in any regard.

Moody, I think it has been stressed often enough that this forum IS NOT just for those who give care. All are welcome.

Personally, I don't think it's forum names that keep people from posting. I believe it's this type of insignifcant bickering that turns people off. Had this been the "lead story" when I found the old Cando, I probably would not have read much further. And I would have missed a world of help that literally probably saved my life.

Just my .02. Sorry I crawled out from under the rock. Don't think it will happen again.

Mary, sorry. Now I see what you meant. I typed Mary instead of Moody but for some reason I had in mind that Moody had signed as Mary before. Apologies to all.