Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cold Sweat

I just got over the sweats about 15 minutes ago. My stomach has been so uoset lately from taking so many meds that until I control the pain and upset, I start sweating and feel like passing out.

Lie down or recline back so you won't actually pass out. Take with food or atleast a cracker ot two.

CWO

Quote Originally Posted by cara_m
    I just got over the sweats about 15 minutes ago. My stomach has been so uoset lately from taking so many meds that until I control the pain and upset, I start sweating and feel like passing out.

Have someone check your blood pressure. When you get the sweats and get bad blood pressure you may have atonomic dexflexia (sp)? Which can be life threating. Autonomicdeflexia "most often" happends with C level injuries. If you bring it to the attention of your doctor and he dismisses it without checking it out, consider a new doctor. Some doctors are also unaware of it. Some immeatly dismiss it because its widely considered to only be a C level condition. Which is not true. It can (rarely) occur in lower levels.

Quote Originally Posted by patricks
    My spine is rotated, crimped, and twisted. Recently my back broke "again" when I was lifted from under my arms. From that point I started useing a back brace (especially during transfers) which have lowered my sweats dramatically. You may want to consider useing a back brace. From my understanding compression fractures are also common, due to bone loss. You may consider getting xrays?
    Regarding you recliner chair. I used a recliner wheelchair for the first few years, and in doing so I developed a nasty hunch in my shoulders. (So you may want to reconsider using a reclining wheelchair for long term usage and address getting your back checked)
    I had a dexa scan my bone density is normal in my back its just my hips that are bad.
    "Some people say that, the longer you go the better it gets the more you get used to it, I'm actually finding the opposite is true."

-Christopher Reeve on his Paralysis

Quote Originally Posted by Gingerbread Man
    Thanks everyone for responding so quickly. Here I was was thinking I was a one in a million case. For my next doctors appointment I will ask about Propantheline. Carbar was this the medicine you were talking about?. I havent really tried to tie the spasms with the cold sweats but I will keep an eye out now for them and see if they partner up.

I really can't remember the name - perhaps it was something similar to the one that Keps suggested - Propantheline - I think I did try the drug for a short time but it made little change and I had an extremely dry mouth so I didn't continue taking it. Just lived with the sweats and luckily they eventually disappeared.

My guess would be that you have a UTI brewing or a chronic heavy bacterial colonization in your bladder. I would check that out first and eliminate it as a possible cause before going any further.

Have you had UTIs in the past that you were treated with antibiotics for?

If so, directly after taking the antibiotics and after you felt better and your urine looked and smelled normal, did you still have these sweats?

I'd go with the most likely cause first and work my way through to the more exotic.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Colds Sweats

My daughter c/5 c6 has one arm that's always having a freezing sensation. Checked a/c vent and it's not blowing on her. Also cold sweat if something doesn't feel quite right, like when I place her in her powerchair. When in powerchair important I found out to check lumbar support when she starts telling me she's sweating. Eighteen months since injury and I'm still learning.
    Aggie Mom 2007

Lifting

Quote Originally Posted by patricks
    My spine is rotated, crimped, and twisted. Recently my back broke "again" when I was lifted from under my arms. From that point I started useing a back brace (especially during transfers) which have lowered my sweats dramatically. You may want to consider useing a back brace. From my understanding compression fractures are also common, due to bone loss. You may consider getting xrays?
    Regarding you recliner chair. I used a recliner wheelchair for the first few years, and in doing so I developed a nasty hunch in my shoulders. (So you may want to reconsider using a reclining wheelchair for long term usage and address getting your back checked)
    Never have anyone lift you under your arms. Please make sure your caregivers or attendants know this. I caught one person in hospital that was trying to lift my daughter and I called a nurse to make sure it never happened again, especially since she had a neck brace on after only having surgery 1 month prior on her neck.
    Aggie Mom 2007

Quote Originally Posted by carbar
    I really can't remember the name - perhaps it was something similar to the one that Keps suggested - Propantheline - I think I did try the drug for a short time but it made little change and I had an extremely dry mouth so I didn't continue taking it. Just lived with the sweats and luckily they eventually disappeared.
    Perhaps it was propantheline you had Carbar. It does give a very dry mouth.
    It did work for me though, and I was happier having a dry mouth than soaking in sweat.

Quote Originally Posted by jhorn4012
    Never have anyone lift you under your arms. Please make sure your caregivers or attendants know this. I caught one person in hospital that was trying to lift my daughter and I called a nurse to make sure it never happened again, especially since she had a neck brace on after only having surgery 1 month prior on her neck.
    It happend at a well respected rehab (2nd one), when was getting lifted to take X-Rays. The Doctor there also managed to miss the clear break on the X-rays. (Been haveing extreme bad luck at rehab. 1st rehab almost killed me then doctored up the records for coverup. But thats another story from my SCI saga)

Quote Originally Posted by Norm
    I had a dexa scan my bone density is normal in my back its just my hips that are bad.
    I had a dexa scan post my 2nd break, and have normal bone density aswell. Your hips can also very we be the cause. Takes much Trail and error to figure things out.
    Shame soo many are too Stupid and Greedy to realize what truly matters in life.
    "Only when its too late, do people understand....." (Most anyway.....)
    ====================
    If you stare long enough,
    I may do a Trick....