Thread: What disabled and their caregivers need...

What disabled and their caregivers need...

Is support for INCREASED wages for caregivers.

Not more taxpayer monies going to research and studying what caregivers and disabled need.

NOT more money to understand what the "implications" are for disabled who can't get caregiver help to enable independent lives.

IMPLICATIONS of not having caregivers is INSTITUTIONALIZATION. DUH.
    Implications are, people with disabilities living in horrid conditions lying in their own shit for hours on end while nursing home attendants neglect to check on them.
    Implications are, a fully capable person who has potential to becoming a fully functioning and self sufficient individual becoming instead an invalid, unable to live within the community and becoming a productive human being.
    Implications are, that a person of great potential and value is discarded by society and relegated to live in some of the most inhumane conditions.

Implications are, that people can research and study what we NEED til they're blue in the face, but what people with disabilities, what people living with SCI, need, is for the bureaucrats to frigggen IMPLEMENT those programs designed to integrated people into the community. They need to provide funding to the people living with SCI so they can find the caregiving assistance they need. They need to provide better recruitment and training of people to be more qualified caregivers so people with disablities are NOT left to rely on poorly paid, irresponsible, unreliable and potentially dangerus people for care.

More and more funds for PLANNING is not what we need IF it is not followed by a COMMITMENT to IMPLEMENT those plans. "Strategic Planning" and "Acion Plans" are only lip service without the Money being directed to the people who need them. We don't need more of these limited funds to pay salaries of researchers, planners, organizers, coordinators and managers.

I support research into care needs and improved planning and coordination of services, but there are existing programs that are inadequately funded. There are already Bills in the House and Senate that are targeted to improving care and INDEPENDENCE for people who are disabled, such as MiCASSA, the Medicaid Community Attendant Services and Supports Act(bill numbers = H.R. 2032 & S. 971). There is the Olmstead Act that has been passed but continues to be UNfulfilled, illegally leaving disabled and elderly institutionalized.

Do you need more research to understand that lying in a pool of your own urine is not good for you????

[This message was edited by chick on 11-03-03 at 05:30 AM.]

chick, some of the strongest supporters of home care are trying to get grants to obtain the data indicating that home care is feasible, economical, and beneficial to people. If you and other members of the SCI community were to oppose funding of these grants, the data that Congress needs to make these multibillion dollar decisions will not be available to support a rational homecare policy. For example, most of the research supporting home care and caregiver support comes from NIDRR. Be careful about criticizing this research.

Wise.

Originally posted by chick:

More and more funds for PLANNING is not what we need IF it is not followed by a COMMITMENT to IMPLEMENT those plans. "Strategic Planning" and "Acion Plans" are only lip service without the Money being directed to the people who need them. We don't need more of these limited funds to pay salaries of researchers, planners, organizers, coordinators and managers.

I support research into care needs and improved planning and coordination of services
    I STRONGLY support disability research. I DON'T support wasteful spending on redundant research. I DON'T support ineffective programs that are not providing quality care for disabled individuals.
    I DO Support continued research to better identify gaps in services and improved targeting of needs.
    I DO Support greater integration of programs and services, enabling more people with disabilities greater access to those services without the systemic barriers that limit and even prohibit, unnecessarily, far too many from obtaining the services they need.
    Because I rather see LESS WASTE and MORE EFFICIENCY, I support research.
    Because I support research in these (and other) areas, I view it as my RESPONSINBILITY to criticize research and the political process that may encumber it.
    It definitely does not serve anyone (except maybe the bureaucrats), to remain silent for fear of losing funding. I also understand the game and know when and where to be politically correct and to do/say what is necessary to appease those policymakers and administrators that influence purse strings.

What we need are policymakers to do less "promise making" and do more Promise Keeping/Fulfilling.

Wise, if you or anyone else saw my original post as a criticism specifically on research, I suggest you read it again. I may not have been clear to all, but it was more a criticism on the half-hearted, piecemeal attempts at implementation and enforcement of existing programs and lack of research application, as I see/experience it (not only as beneficiary/recipient, but having been part of the bureaucratic process).

[This message was edited by chick on 11-04-03 at 03:14 AM.]