Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: medicare paying for family members to provide home care?

medicare paying for family members to provide home care?

I just heard a rumor that I'm assuming is either a pure fabrication or some convoluted version of the truth...

I was told that starting soon (or maybe it is effective now), Medicare will reimburse us gimps who currently pay family members to provide home care. Or perhaps it was that these family members can be paid directly. Whatever it is, it sounds very un-medicare-like.

Has anyone heard anything along these lines or have any additional info?

*** c4/c5 incomplete *** Injured in Summer 2003 ***

What were you smoking when you heard this??? Not now, not anytime in the future, and certainly not with the current administration. If anything, Medicare benefits are being cut. Medicare has never paid for unskilled homecare....it is not a covered benefit.

(KLD)

lol! that was about the exact answer I expected to receive. I'll have to forward this on to my phd student friend/source who fills her brain with too much information to keep it all straight. Thanks for the clarification.

*** c4/c5 incomplete *** Injured in Summer 2003 ***

Oregon's medicaid (not Medicare) has a program called " Independent Choices" that allows reembursment for home health care and/or other nessesary equipiment. My husbands social worker told him about it. Maybe you heard about something like that.
    Jennifer - Married to Jeremy (C-5 inc. brown-sequard) mommy of two little drama queens

Many state's have attendant programs for those eligible for Medicaid (not Medicare). Many of them allow you to hire family members or friends to be your PCAs through these programs. Some states do not. It all depends on the program your state has, what they pay, how they pay, and who they will allow to be an employee of their program.

(KLD)

Quote Originally Posted by princessturk
    Oregon's medicaid (not Medicare) has a program called " Independent Choices" that allows reembursment for home health care and/or other nessesary equipiment. My husbands social worker told him about it. Maybe you heard about something like that.
    speaking of oregon, have you seen this?

SALEM -- It's 11 a.m. on a recent weekday morning, but Clay Freeman is
    still sound asleep. His chest rises and falls with perfectly timed
    pushes of air supplied by a ventilator near his nightstand.

Twelve years ago, Freeman dived into a river and broke his neck. Now a
    quadriplegic, the 34-year-old is kept alive by 11 machines. Without
    24-hour help from qualified caregivers to monitor those machines, he
    could easily suffocate.

Normally, Freeman rises early. But his new night-shift caregiver hasn't
    been fully trained. She doesn't know how to move him from his wheelchair
    into his bed -- an hourlong process. And because of her inexperience,
    Freeman was too anxious to fall asleep.

For full article, go to:

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/orego...670.xml&coll=7
    Last edited by cass; 08-02-2008 at 01:09 AM.

In Virginia, they started this program about 2 years ago now that pays family members but not the owner of the home.So I manage my sons care but I the dad cannot be paid because he lives in my home, but my other children who help can be paid.Its called "EDCD or Elderly or Disabled with Consumer-Directed Waiver" and its run thru a Medicaid Home and CommunityBased waiver. If u live in Virginia u can contact Lacasa email is: lacasainc@comcast.net ph# is 8043530461

Quote Originally Posted by cass
    speaking of oregon, have you seen this?

SALEM -- It's 11 a.m. on a recent weekday morning, but Clay Freeman is
    still sound asleep. His chest rises and falls with perfectly timed
    pushes of air supplied by a ventilator near his nightstand.

Twelve years ago, Freeman dived into a river and broke his neck. Now a
    quadriplegic, the 34-year-old is kept alive by 11 machines. Without
    24-hour help from qualified caregivers to monitor those machines, he
    could easily suffocate.

Normally, Freeman rises early. But his new night-shift caregiver hasn't
    been fully trained. She doesn't know how to move him from his wheelchair
    into his bed -- an hourlong process. And because of her inexperience,
    Freeman was too anxious to fall asleep.

For full article, go to:

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/orego...670.xml&coll=7
    Is there much of a difference between what it costs for a vent dependent quad with 24/7 help to live in their own home and one who lives in a nursing home?

And does anyone know what the overall health status is (less illness, less doctor care, fewer infections, fewer drugs, fewer pressure sores, fewer surgeries, etc.) between those who live in their own home versus those who live in a nursing home? Not to mention QOL issues.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

well, the oregon state wage is $9.90/hr. heck i pay my helpers more than that and don't even require daily help. and still have trouble finding just one new person. someone answering my craigslist ad said she charges $30/hr, 3 hr/day min! WHO pays her that i'd like to know.

my dad ended up in a nursing home the last 3 yrs of his life. he walked in, was beaten, in ER a few times due to their negligence (once i was told he wouldn't make it -- this after they inserted a foley which he didn't need and he went septic, hospital doc wanted me to sue he was so mad), had simple wedding ring stolen, etc. all for a mere $3000/month. this was in the 90's. btw, the foley/septic incident took place in less than a week when nh knew i was on vacation.

some nursing homes won't even take a vent dep. quad. somewhere i have read it is cost efficient in the long run to pay for home care, maybe from ADAPT? don't have the numbers in front of me.

Nebraska medicade will pay for anyone to care for Sally except me "because the husband is supposed to take care of the wife." The hhs social worker said we could always get divorced.