Thread: scared with AD and work

scared with AD and work

... long story short, I've been struggling for a long time with AD.. no really known reason.... it's out of control. I believe it's my colon, but of course everything is "neg".... in the meantime,, it wasn't completely "neg"...
    sigh.
    There was NOTHING in my descending colon, and tons of air in my transverse colon and tons of sh*t in my ascending colon... DUH.. it's getting stuck. and even a tiny bit of air in my colon gives me full blown AD.

OK. SO.. my pcp , she's so nice and very smart. I'm lucky to have accidentally found her. She suggested a three month disability for me to get thing s under control. Has anyone ever done that?

AND....so, say I do this and i go back and it's the same? It could be my work... on a lower level...ie. the air conditioner and the lack of it in some buildings. The whole temperature thing makes me get AD also.

Please any insight would be helpful.. I don't want to lose my job. I already lost one due to this accident that was NOT even my fault. It' s not fair. I know life isn't fair, but i'm whiny cause I can't get any sleep. so, sorry.

bbs

Yeah, I have done the short term disability thing. (It didn't turn out to be short term for me though, something else happened.) But if you can get a little time to get things under control, I say go for it. Be sure to have a clear plan of action though so it doesnt turn into a waste of time. It takes time to get appointments as I'm sure you know and they can dink you around until you run out of time. Have appointments set up in advance so you can attack this thing and get some results. This is literally life or death for you. I'll be pullin' for ya!

PS thats where mine gets a buggered up too. The ascending colon just where the small intestine dumps into the AC. It often feels like I have appendicitis.? It is strange.

Skippy

Thanks. Well, I don't actually "feel" anything. I take a bunch of stimulating meds to get it going, and I can... like.. hear it and maybe sort of feel it moving. sorry to hear you had even further problems. So, does that mean you are on full disability? How does this all work? my doc said she just completes a form from a wellfare office and I take it to work. I'm sure I will have paperwork there, as well. How did you get on , if you did, full disiability? No attorney, right? She said I would not need an attorney.

OK. I appreciate all of your help . and yeah, the appts and getting those set up is a joke. I get them all set up... they cancel them. ONCE that nearly killed me, for real. When I first had to to go my urologist, the made me wait, and I went toxic.... almost didn't make it...nice how they take these things into consideration, huh??

well, take it easy.
    bbs

I had short and long term disability through my employer. Things went south in February of last year, and I ended up on short term disability. I had a feeling the health issues weren't going to be resolved easily or maybe not at all, so I applied for SSDI in May of last year. I got approved for SSDI in October. No attorney or anything. Disability was clearcut.

I had long term disability to get me through until SSDI came through. I dont know that they pay SSDI for a short term like you have in mind. You may be able to get a "family and personal medical leave" if your company has it available. Check with the HR department.

I know that it can take years for some people to get approved for SSDI. I think your doctor has welfare in mind for you. Either way, you may end up having to rely on your savings for living expenses during your "vacation". Government can move very slowly, and you cant wait.

As for your appointments. It is shameful that they treat you that way. I've been through similar stuff. I just go to the ER when I have a big issue that cant wait. I dont like having to do it, but I often have no choice. There is a program here that I qualify for called the Bridge Program. The hospital doesn't charge me for the visit. I had to use it last week when I had a new issue with my neck. They paid for a weeks stay last Jauary. $50,000.00 bill paid in full 'cause now I'm poor.

Take care BB, try to get as much set up in advance as you can. It has to be planned carefully so you can get the full benefit of the time off. You can do it. Best of luck to you. I hope it works out for you.

also - since you're worried about what may happen if short term evolves into long term look into what your long term benefit is through your company. some are quite good, actually. my company provides a 30 year long term benefit @65% of base salary, non-indemnity (meaning they don't take $ away for settlements or other benefit $ like SSDI). i was shocked...i had never really paid the disability insurance much mind until i needed it, so i had no idea it was so nice. moral of the story: make sure you know what you may have through your employer before you worry too much! you may well be surprised! best of luck -dale b.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.