View Poll Results:

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • I would follow the written wishes of my family member, with the firm belief that they did not wish to continue life in a totally diminished capacity.

12 85.71%
  • It would be difficult/impossible to follow the wishes of my family member, and I would ask in advance to have someone else appointed in that decision making capacity.

2 14.29%
  • 0 0%
  • 0 0%
  • 0 0%

Thread: Carrying out Living Will wishes for family members

Carrying out Living Will wishes for family members

With all the discussion re Terry Schiavo (sp), and Andrew Fletcher's post on the young man who doesn't want to live, I started thinking about whether I would have problems with carrying out the wishes of a family member if they had stated in a Living Will that they did not wish to have their life prolonged; or even if they asked for a 'Do Not Resuscitate' order.

A hard decision for any of us; how do you feel? If anyone has any more options, please feel free to suggest.

My experience with this was fairly recent (four and five years respectively) with my maternal grandparents.

Both had made it clear to all family members that they wanted DNR decisions carried out as they wished.

As it turned out I believe that a huge burden was lifted from the remaining family members emotional shoulders. No second guessing, no "what if" scenarios. Painful yes, but burdensome, no. We were pleased to have carried out their wishes. And I'm confident that they were pleased to have eased our collective conscience. I plan on doing the same for my family.

Incidentally my grandparents also left explicit instructions as to who would receive what in terms of things (china, furniture, art, etc.). This was great as there was no family bickering.

The point to all of this. Write it down, legalize it, copy it, and communicate it (hopefully before one passes on) to any and all interested parties.

A great lesson was learned.

Hmmm, Only 7 votes? Do people just not want to deal with this issue? Or don't have any feelings one way or the other?