Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Ever sit in the chair?

I think the responses here are interesting. It is fun to see the perspectives from all directions ...Nicci this was a great question...

Many years ago I was the girlfriend of a guy in a chair. I sat in it now and again, but was usually gingerly careful because we were at school and if it broke it just complicated issues for him. I did make an attempt on a hill once too, and wiped out to my embarassment, and was content to leave that skill to him from then on.

As a nurse I would never sit in a patient's wheelchair, nor would I sit in transport chairs or rehab chairs. I agree with KLD that in the relationship of nurse to patient that WOULD be rude. In the personal relationships of friends and lovers, and parents and children....it is all a decision that the chair owner gets to make.

Nicci there is nothing weird about it either way...sitting in it or not. Just be sure he is ok with it.

AND MADDDY.....AS FOR YOU.....sigh....LOL...behave yourself!!!

Miss M

Tigger, very good point.

Pretty much all my friends and every girl I've ever dated has sat in and played around in my chair, I just warn them to be careful not to flip it which some end up doing anyway.
    One time I took a girlfriend on a bike trail that I push often and had her push with me using my other chair. There was this lil 1/2" ledge in one spot she needed to pop a lil wheelie over but was struggling trying to get over it, and as I was sitting there telling her how to do it and laughing at her these two teenage girls came walking up and were all sympathetic to her and pulled the front of the chair up it for her before we could say anything about her not really being disabled. lol

Hi, I'm Nicci's boyfriend,
    A Pt got in a chair once to illustrate how to pull a wheely, she flipped, was hurt badly, no paralysis, butthat instilled in me a fear/responsibility to warn those that try.

I agree there is a sense of need to sympathize with our condition but it frightens me to see the possibility of a new "member" of our society, landing wrongly on my chair

My sister sits in mine all the time when I'm not in it...she says it's comfortable. LOL I keep telling her that karma is going to come back to bite her and one of these days she'll need one for real, but she won't listen. :P

Don't piss me off or I'll run over your toes.

When I'm not in it, my husband treats my chair just like any other chair in the house. The first time he did it, I was very wierded out, but now I think it's a good thing. I think it helps demystify it. He's always been very matter-of-fact about my use of it, but I think that when others see him in it it helps them see it as not unusual. I like that; I always think that, when that happens, people may be more inclined to see memeas not unusual, too.

anytime I am not in my chair (on the floor or couch or something) my husband may play in it (do wheelies) my nieces and nephews do it too..

Ithink they are just a bunch of goof balls (not in a bad way tho)

~*~*~Priscilla Katheryn
    Dec. 7, 2002 I become Mrs. Hedlin!!!

I think it is all up to the respective owner of the chair. My ex bf would offer it when he'd go for a lie down or be on the ground somewhere to relieve pressure. He'd take the pad...I'd get the bare chair. Tarmac makes your butt dirty. He uses it as an extra chair at his place if he's on the couch or sitting on the bed or on his theraball at his desk. It's a mobility device AND a piece of furniture. I would always wait for him to offer it though.

Josie

My ex boyfriends uncle was in a wheelchair due to a gunshot wound to the head. His boys would always play in his wheelchair and we told them they were jinxing themselves. I had never even sat in a wheelchair prior to my sci. Needless to say, I was the one that ended up in one for now.

About others sitting in my chair. One day at therapy an older man sat and started playing in mine. I freaked out. As much as I hate this chair it is mine and I'm kinda protective of it. The man called it my chariot and said it wasn't so bad. I told him it's a lot different when you have the option to get right up out of it.

I was protective like that with my cervical collar I so claimed I would throw into a bonfire after I rid myself of it...I still got that bastard

I don't mind people sitting in my chair as long as it's not a complete stranger. I also hate if I'm out somewhere and not sitting in my chair and somebody throws their coat over the back of it like it's a coat rack. That really pisses me off. People get cussed out everytime.

"There's a war going on outside no man is safe from..."