Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Ever sit in the chair?

Heather hates to see other people sit in her chair. She doesn't like to see them get up and walk away while she can't do that. The only ones she doesn't mind is her best friend and her brother. Especially when she and Michael play basketball.

I tell our nurses that it is impolite to sit in the patients' wheelchairs. We provide them with a wheelchair mobility experience with a therapist during orientation so they can learn a little about the challenges of wheelchair use, but this is different.

A chair is a very personal and private item to many people with disabilities. It is like wearing someone else's underware or other intimate clothing without getting permission. In addition, you never know who may have had a recent accident!

(KLD)

I sit in my sister's chair all of the time. It is good to get her view of where things need to be. It helps me to move things around in her cupboards. My 3 year old also sits in it all of the time. She is also able to push herself around in it. My husband has taught my sister to pop wheelies, because by him doing it she could see what she needed to do.

If he doesn't mind...jump in. But I would ask her, my sister doesn't care at all.

I tell our nurses that it is impolite to sit in the patients' wheelchairs.
    I agree that it is impolite to sit in a patients chair. In Nicci's case, it's her B/F, so as long as he is ok with it then there shouldn't be any problem. I know both Mark and Nicci personally and I think Mark wouldn't have a problem with it at all. I know that Nicci it realitivly new to SCI issues and has some questions and is just trying to get some feedback so she doesn't step on any toes.

I sit in my husbands chair all the time. When he first came home with it, the kids would all fight over who got to sit in it. Joe hates the chair and would rather let someone else sit in it and he'll take the couch. MY children will never look at anyone else in a wheelchair the same again. I have noticed they are very courteous to others in chairs. THey let them pass or hold the door open, look them in the eye and smile.
    It doesn't bother me to sit in his chair, but then again, I can always get out if I want to. If your bf doesn't mind, then go ahead.....
    Stacey

Interesting responses.

I always find it a little weird when someone uses my chair. Not that I mind but it doesn't seem to visually compute (sorry if I'm not making sense)

My wife has ridden mine a few times. Then she tried going up our driveway (fairly steep) and immediately wiped out.

...needless to say she doesn't ride it anymore..lol

[/QUOTE] I know that Nicci it realitivly new to SCI issues and has some questions and is just trying to get some feedback so she doesn't step on any toes.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, Brad.. guess I didn't clarify that.

MY son is in my chair everytime I'm out of it. I do hate seeing him in it though. I guess that's a father thing... I think everyone who dates or helps a person who is in a chair should spend some time in it moving around the house or the yard. It would help you to see how life and little things in the floor can make it hard to get around. If you really want to see how it feels to be in chair go out in public with it... If you have a extar chair goto the mall or out to eat and you'll really get the feel on how people treat you and looks at you differentlty.

I have sat in my son's chair often and rolled around to get a sense of things in his perspective as best I could around the house, in the driveway, etc. and it has helped me to arrange/remodel/repair accordingly. I have also borrowed an old wheelchair from a friend to work with his puppy, trying to figure out the best way to train him.
    I have also put my son's leg braces on and attempted to lift myself off the bed, etc. and this has helped us too. Just like propping pillows as he needed until he decided to sleep prone and even then...learning what was pulling or became uncomfortable after awhile.
    Personally, I think if this is your loved one, why not?

Originally posted by SCI-Nurse:

In addition, you never know who may have had a recent accident!

(KLD)
    KLD, Do you go around telling the AB world thats impolite to sit in SCI chairs? You'll have the AB world thinking hey dont sit in sci chairs they may have poop or wet there undies.. LOL

btw My cousin was sittin in my chair, while I was in the shower. I let him sit there, me knowing that my condom cath came off.. I was lmao while in the shower..