Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Ever sit in the chair?

Ever sit in the chair?

My bf Mark told me once that at some point in his last 20 years as a quad, each of his friends sat in his chair. I had a dream after he told me this that I was in a chair. I've never been able to bring myself to sit in it. I'm curious about it, but it seems so weird.

I just wondered if anyone else has done it. How did it feel? Did you roll around or just sit still?

I sit in my husband's chair all the time, and always have...I've never felt weird about it. I roll around and do things in it, to give myself some sort of (although very limited) perspective of how he sees the world and works in it...I even taught myself to transfer without using my legs. My next goal is to learn to climb up into the pick-up truck from it...it's a full size truck and it amazes me how he can climb into it without assistance. My nephews always want to sit in his chair. They are fascinated by it! One of my baby nephews calls anything that has wheels a "boom boom"...he sees Ray and says..."Ray go boom boom!" He's adorable! You aren't weird for not wanting to sit in it...it's just the way you feel! Carol

Piglet sidled up to Pooh from behind. "Pooh!", he whispered. "Yes, Piglet?" "Nothing", said Piglet, taking Pooh's paw. "I just wanted to be sure of you."

Last summer our family stayed at a cabin when we went to our church camp. Because Bruce is able to get around pretty well with crutches or a walker, he left the chair in the cabin for the whole week.

Every time I came back in there during the after lunch "quiet time", our teenaged daughters were entertaining their friends, and all of them liked to wheel around in his chair. They're both better at doing wheelies than he ever was.

We sit in it all the time at home, too. At first I did it to try to understand better how to arrange stuff so he had less navigating to do, and to see how hard certain things were--like trying to push myself up our driveway, which I can't do for shit. Anyway, yeah. Even in the hospital, the girls wanted to spin around in the empty wheelchairs . . . I guess I never thought of it as weird.

I was paralysed at the age of seven-and-a-half. When I got my second wheelchair we kept the old one around in case something happened to the new one. My younger sister and my cousins used to take turns in the old one and we'd race up and down the driveway. It was their way of trying to make me feel less different, I guess.
    My nephew is nearly 5 years old and when he was two-and-a-half (maybe a little younger), he used to climb into my wheelchair when I wasn't in it. When I used to tell him that he was sitting in my chair, he would smile at me and say "No. My chair." At least he wasn't afraid of it.
    There have been times when I've been confined to bed at home following surgery when I've run out of space for friends/family to sit in my room. I've let them sit in my chair and try to move it if they wanted to. I've always thought of it as a good learning experience for others.
    I think it's a matter of personal choice as to whether or not you want other people to sit in your wheelchair, just as I think it's personal choice as to whether you want to sit in someone's wheelchair.

He is able who thinks he is able. - Buddha

I've been in Bri's chair before. There have been times that we all pile into her room to watch a movie; she'll sit on her bed, usually, and someone ends up in her chair. When we were out at Craig for her evaluation, she came back to our "apartment" with a different chair and power-assisted wheels (eMotion wheels). I made her let me try those! I wouldn't worry about sitting in the chair, Nicci. Or not sitting in the chair. Piglet's right...it's just the way you feel.

When Matt was at Kessler, the therapists organized a game of wheelchair basketball; ABs vs DAs - what a hoot watching us ABs trying to cope with the subtleties of maneuvering a chair!

Every year I go to a bluegrass festival with my friend's extended family. While I sit at the picnic table, the teens are in my chair or on my crutches. Nearby campers must think we have a group of disabled kids, unless they notice they are all in the same chair!

My granddaughter, 19 mo's, loves to sit in grandma's chair. She sits up straight and prim, little queenie.

No adult besides myself has ever sat in it. Odd, now that I think of it...

Nicci,

Why are you concerned about sitting in it? If you're curious about it, try sitting in it. I don't think Mark would mind or think that it's weird.

Cheryl sits in my chair and drives it around if it needs to be moved. It does't bother me or her and it's not a big deal. I just get the heck out of the way because she can take out a city block with her driving skills.

When my son was at TIRR for therapy I would sit in his chair while he was in his bed and then I would get yelled at by the nurses for sitting in it...messes up the pad they said. Then he finallly purchased his own chair and pad and I waited and waited for them to yell at me to get out of it but they never did. Now he is at PW and while I visited him during therapy I would always wheel from exercise to exercise in it. Lots of the Moms did that.

Wow... you guys make it sound like a lotta fun! Maybe I will take it for a spin around the house. Might just give me a new perspective, huh?