Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: McCain on hESCs and NIH funding

McCain on hESCs and NIH funding

Stem cell research advocates say it may successfully lead to treatments for many chronic diseases and injuries, saving lives, but opponents argue that using embryos as a source for stem cells destroys human life. What is your position on government regulation and funding of stem cell research?

While I support federal funding for embryonic stem cell research, I believe clear lines should be drawn that reflect a refusal to sacrifice moral values and ethical principles for the sake of scientific progress. Moreover, I believe that recent scientific breakthroughs raise the hope that one day this debate will be rendered academic. I also support funding for other research programs, including amniotic fluid and adult stem cell research which hold much scientific promise and do not involve the use of embryos. I oppose the intentional creation of human embryos for research purposes and I voted to ban the practice of “fetal farming,” making it a federal crime for researchers to use cells or fetal tissue from an embryo created for research purposes. [...]

For many years, Congress has recognized the importance of science and engineering research to realizing our national goals. Given that the next Congress will likely face spending constraints, what priority would you give to investment in basic research in upcoming budgets?

With spending constraints, it will be more important than ever to ensure we are maximizing our investments in basic research and minimizing the bureaucratic requirements that eat away at the money designed for funding scientists and science. Basic research serves as the foundation for many new discoveries and represents a critical investment for the future of the country and the innovations that drive our economy and protect our people. I have supported significant increases in basic research at the National Science Foundation. I also called for a plan developed by our top scientists on how the funding should be utilized. We must ensure that our research is addressing our national needs and taking advantage of new areas of opportunities and that the results of this research can enter the marketplace. We must also ensure that basic research money is allocated to the best science based on quality and peer review, not politics and earmarks.

I am committed to reinvigorating America’s commitment to basic research, and will ensure my administration funds research activities accordingly. I have supported increased funding at DOE, NSF, and NIH for years and will continue to do so. I will continue my commitment to ensure that the funding is properly managed and that the nation's research needs are adequately addressed.

http://sharp.sefora.org/people/presi...ial-candidate/
    McCain answered.

Discuss.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

A contradiction:

Climate Change

To bolster research efforts, government must do more by opening new paths of invention and ingenuity. A McCain administration would establish a permanent research and development tax credit equal to ten percent of wages spent on R&D, to open the door to a new generation of environmental entrepreneurs. I am also committed to investing two billion dollars every year for the next 15 years on clean coal technologies, to unlock the potential of America's oldest and most abundant resource. [...]

Energy

In the progress of other alternative energy sources -- such as wind, solar, geothermal, tide, and hydroelectric -- government must be an ally but not an arbiter. [...] We will reform this effort so that it is fair, rational, and permanent, letting the market decide which ideas can move us toward clean and renewable energy.
    If he wants to let the market decide instead of the government or the industry with the best lobbyists, why does he commit to spending $2 billion on clean coal each year for 15 years?

I guess they have the best lobbyists.
    ...it's worse than we thought. it turns out the people at the white house are not secret muslims, they're nerds.

he has a lot of stipulations on his allocations. I've been a proponant of of cutting the bs but how are congress men gonna decide the bs? I know how, with lobbying.

I have been disappointed in both candidates and their approaches.

Obama committed late to increasing NIH and seldom mentioned biomedical research during the primaries, whereas he committed many billions to energy research and "basic science". He only recently began to commit to increasng the NIH budget. Regarding stem cell research, both he and McCain voted for the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act (SCREA). Obama is however, better than McCain in that he became a sponsor of the Christopher and Dana Reeve Paralysis Act.

McCain is only now beginning to say that he supports an increase in NIH but it is still low on his priority list. His commitment to human embryonic stem cell research is now compromised by his statement that he will draw "clear lines" based on moral values and ethical principles. He has consistently refused to support the Christopher and Dana Reeve Paralysis Act. His fiscal program is unlikely to result in increased funding of NIH. His priorities are clear, to win a victory in Iraq and Afghanistan and to give tax breaks to the wealthy in the United States. By the way, his statement about embryonic stem cell research suggests that he will be worse than President Bush when it comes to supporting that research and he is pandering to opponents of the research.
    While I support federal funding for embryonic stem cell research, I believe clear lines should be drawn that reflect a refusal to sacrifice moral values and ethical principles for the sake of scientific progress. Moreover, I believe that recent scientific breakthroughs raise the hope that one day this debate will be rendered academic. I also support funding for other research programs, including amniotic fluid and adult stem cell research which hold much scientific promise and do not involve the use of embryos. I oppose the intentional creation of human embryos for research purposes and I voted to ban the practice of “fetal farming,” making it a federal crime for researchers to use cells or fetal tissue from an embryo created for research purposes.
    With the failures of the two largest Wall Street Firms (Merrill-Lynch and Lenhman Brothers) this weekend, the markets today requiring the federal government to spend over $70 billion to maintain "liquidity" for save Fannie May and Freddie Mac, and worldwide markets losing 10% or more of their value, we are now going through some of the most worrisome and tumultuous times in memory. Given this situation and the enormous deficits that the government is facing in the coming four years, I suspect that all promises of funding are not trustworthy.

Neither candidate have put biomedical research at the top of their priority list. Over the past 8 years, the Bush Administration was the most anti-science administration in history, not only in biomedical and stem cell research but for physical and environmental sciences. While McCain is reasonably experienced in the area of science, Palin is perhaps more anti-science than Bush was. So, I am very worried that there will be little or no leadership from the White House in the area of science during the coming 8 years.

Wise.
    Last edited by Wise Young; 09-18-2008 at 06:20 AM. Reason: edited to correct typographic "not compromised" to "now compromised"

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    I have been disappointed in both candidates and their approaches.

Obama committed late to increasing NIH and seldom mentioned biomedical research during the primaries, whereas he committed many billions to energy research and "basic science". He only recently began to commit to increaisng the NIH budget. Regarding stem cell research, both he and McCain voted for the Stem Cell Research Enhancement Act (SCREA). Obama is however, better than McCain in that he became a sponsor of the Christopher and Dana Reeve Paralysis Act.

McCain is only now beginning to say that he supports an increase in NIH but it is still low on his priority list. His commitment to human embryonic stem cell research is now compromised by his statement that he will draw "clear lines" based on moral values and ethical principles. He has consistently refused to support the Christopher and Dana Reeve Paralysis Act. His fiscal program is unlikely to result in increased funding of NIH. His priorities are clear, to win a victory in Iraq and Afghanistan and to give tax breaks to the wealthy in the United States. By the way, his statement about embryonic stem cell research suggests that he will be worse than President Bush when it comes to supporting that research and he is pandering to opponents of the research.

With the failures of the two largest Wall Street Firms (Merrill-Lynch and Lenhman Brothers) this weekend, the markets today requiring the federal government to spend over $70 billion to maintain "liquidity" for save Fannie May and Freddie Mac, and worldwide markets losing 10% or more of their value, we are now going through some of the most worrisome and tumultuous times in memory. Given this situation and the enormous deficits that the government is facing in the coming four years, I suspect that all promises of funding are not trustworthy.

Neither candidate have put biomedical research at the top of their priority list. Over the past 8 years, the Bush Administration was the most anti-science administration in history, not only in biomedical and stem cell research but for physical and environmental sciences. While McCain is reasonably experienced in the area of science, Palin is perhaps more anti-science than Bush was. So, I am very worried that there will be little or no leadership from the White House in the area of science during the coming 8 years.

Wise.

MR.Wise this shows us that we all SCI FROM all over the world WE cannot wait on any of them for funding. If WE want a cure WE have to get more organized ourselves. WE have to work together and come up with the money for OUR cure. How long are WE gonna wait for hand outs? This is our FIGHT, OUR PROUBLEM AND THE WAY ITS LOOKING WE ARE STILL GOING TO BE ON OUR OWN before and after the election. The money is there everybody we just gotta let them know why we need it. And how bad we need it. For example this charity turned down 3 million http://www.newsvine.com/_news/2008/0...ottery-jackpot. What the hell? WE wont turn no money plus they proubly didnt need it no way. DO everybody agree?
    Can we afford and sit arond and wait on these fools to listen to our silent crys or are we gonna make some noise and get there attention????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ??
    Last edited by Wise Young; 09-18-2008 at 06:18 AM. Reason: edited to correct typographic "not compromised" to "now compromised"

In other words.....we are up shit creek without a paddle. Government is/was our best chance to keep the 'cure ball' rolling as far as long term sustainable funding is concerned. From where I sit up here in Canada, and I follow US politics just as closely as my own, if not closer, you guys would be foolish not to elect Obama. Even though Clinton would have hands down been the better choice, but the majority of Dems got caught up in the savvy and disregarded the substance and that may in fact cost you the election and sentence all of us to another 4 years of same old, same old. eg. Obama/Clinton vs. Mcain/Palin - Dems in White House no question. Now with Biden on the ticket, it is up for grabs with, last time I checked Mcain AHEAD by a point or two. Based on the GOP's record over the last 8 years this in itself is ridiculous. Obama has made one boneheaded decision by selecting Biden over Clinton, but he is our best chance over the next four years. VOTE HIM IN!
    Here's Hoping!

I follow US politics as I use to live in the US. From my ponit of observation (europe) democrats are doing every possible mistake to lose the election as they did last time
    Fortunatly republicans are not doing better since they where conviced to be hopeless. At the end Obama should win, if he doesn't democrats should blame themself.

The latest poll has Obama back in the lead. The Dems have done more this election than during the past two to counter the distortions and the smears. If the Dems lose it'll be the fault of all Americans for allowing themselves to become distracted by the lies instead of simply supporting the person who best represents their interests...and the interests of the SCI community. We won't be screwed either way in my opinion. Obama has no reason to veto an ESCR bill and he has no reason to block the passage of the CDRPA bill as he is a sponsor.

McSame was initaly pro eSC. Now the McSame's campain believes they will get more votes to oppose eSC. Im sure he would change his stance 'again' if he believes going pro eSC would get him into office..

He has Proven time again, that dispite what he truely believes, just getting votes is all that he really cares about.

Vote Obama, not only for the future of SCI, but for the future of the country. Anyone can see the fall to hell of US in this 8 years.
    To me and many Mccain=Bush=joke
    -Ramps in buildings are necessary, but it would be usefull to have another ones for people (mind/heart).....

-Hoc non pereo habebo fortior me