Thread: Enough support for parents with disabilities?

Enough support for parents with disabilities?

We recently did a blog article on parents with disabilities, and what kind of support and respect they are given in comparison to other parents. I invite you to check it out and share your story and/or reactions to the post.

parent

There is prejudice that is palpable in the presence of AB. It may just be us who feel this because we are somewhat sensitive to the fact that we are different. The question always comes up during the time spent with other parents at soccer games and volleyball with my daughter, "What do you do." My response is that I am retired. They are always jealous of that.
    Feelin good is good enough!

Re sports. I am never asked to be the gatekeeper, run concessions or even bring snacks. I am capable and have even volunteered. I don't care though it's one hassle I don't have to worry about.

There are many more issues I may type later, but am on my way out.
    I live in a very backwards backwoods town though.

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue
    Re sports. I am never asked to be the gatekeeper, run concessions or even bring snacks. I am capable and have even volunteered. I don't care though it's one hassle I don't have to worry about.

There are many more issues I may type later, but am on my way out.
    I live in a very backwards backwoods town though.
    In cheerleading, I always had to get my aunt or my mom to work my day in concessions.

In swimming, I always ended up at the time table writing out ribbons etc.

In basketball and softball, I was always called and took my turn bringing snacks. I usually had cupcakes made at the bakery when they went to the playoffs though.

I wish they had overlooked me...LOL It was hot at swim meets. I dont tolerate humid heat very well.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown