Thread: Darwin to Recieve Apology from Church of England

Darwin to Recieve Apology from Church of England

Not sure if this belongs in the science or life forum or where else. It's not my intention to start a flame war for either side of the evolution debate. I just found it to be an interesting article.

Charles Darwin to receive apology from the Church of England for rejecting evolution

The Church of England is to apologise to Charles Darwin for its initial rejection of his theories, nearly 150 years after he published his most famous work.

The Church of England will concede in a statement that it was over-defensive and over-emotional in dismissing Darwin's ideas. It will call "anti-evolutionary fervour" an "indictment" on the Church".

The bold move is certain to dismay sections of the Church that believe in creationism and regard Darwin's views as directly opposed to traditional Christian teaching.

The apology, which has been written by the Rev Dr Malcolm Brown, the Church's director of mission and public affairs, says that Christians, in their response to Darwin's theory of natural selection, repeated the mistakes they made in doubting Galileo's astronomy in the 17th century.

rest of the article is here

Last edited by orangejello; 09-15-2008 at 04:08 PM.

The after death apology doesn't seem to have much merit to me. It's not like Charlie is going to know now that he has become approved by the church.

Didn;t the Catholic Church apologize to Galileo somewhat recently?
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423
    I'm waiting for the Catholic Church to apologize to all the children and parents of the children that were buggered by pervert priests that were shuffled from one parish to another to allow them to stay at large.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin
    I'm waiting for the Catholic Church to apologize to all the children and parents of the children that were buggered by pervert priests that were shuffled from one parish to another to allow them to stay at large.
    you will have to wait 150years for that, just like charlie did...
    http://www.facebook.com/ivicamaotze.rod

Quote Originally Posted by sjean423

Back in the '90's. Took over 350 years to apologize to Galileo; Darwin only had to wait 150....these religious types are getting positively progressive these days

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen
    The after death apology doesn't seem to have much merit to me. It's not like Charlie is going to know now that he has become approved by the church.
    Eileen I agree with you that posthumous apologies don't carry any practical merit. But sometimes they can be quite powerful and have important symbolic value. Not saying that is the case here, but I guess I just found the apology interesting because of what it may imply when it comes to the notion of creationism.

As for the comments about sexual abuse, they are valid. However there was a reason I put this in the science forum, given Darwin's important place in the history of science.

Sjean you are right, the Catholic Church issued an apology to Galileo only relatively recently, in 1992.
    Last edited by orangejello; 09-16-2008 at 11:41 AM.

MattC
    Obviously the apologies are simply meant to be symbolic, and as such, don't carry much weight, either for the Church or against it.

I wonder if the Catholic Church will apologize to Darwin or wait another few hundred years first?