Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Radio controlled airplanes/helis/boats/cars?

Hey Kyle,
    I would not start with the MSR because it is a little harder to fly and a step up from a co-ax heli.
    Start with something like the CX2 or CX3 they are a lot more stable to fly . Get the regular kit that comes with the basic already set up radio so you can figure out what mods you might need to make on the radio.
    You do not want to get into a DX7 and start modifying it ,, its a 300 radio so start with the basic package. I think the CX3 is under 200 and after you add a few extra batteries you can have a complete setup for 250.
    The simulators are a great way to get started with orientation and flying , both great plane and the phoenix are good the Phoenix is cheaper but if you look on line there are a bunch for sale on ebay or on the other flying forums out there and if you have a local hobby shop they usually have one set up to test it out, but for some reason I just cant get used to a simulator because it seems that my depth perception or something gets thrown off so I borrowed one from a friend and used it twice and gave it back, its just not for me.But they help a lot of people out there.
    Also get with a local club there should be one in your area they will help you out a whole lot getting set up..
    Gary

ok gary, thanks!

what's the difference between the cx2 and cx3 vs MCx?

The CX has a regular frequency type radio where someone can be on the same freq and knock you down or you have to wait to fly , The CX2 has a spectrum radio which is a bind and fly frquency that will only be connected to your radio.The CX3 has a little better gyro in it but all parts are the ame except the radio.And the MCX is a smaller co-ax heli easy to fly but not as easy to fly as the cx2 , cx3 ..The smaller they are the harder they are to control but the MCX being a co-ax should be fairly easy to fly but not outside unless there is no wind at all, even the CX2 and CX3 get blown around with just a few mph wind..
    Check out all of the videos on eflights site , that will really help..
    here are the links..
    http://www.e-fliterc.com/ProdInfo/Fi...250_hi-new.wmv
    http://www.e-fliterc.com/ProdInfo/Files/EFL2200_Hi.wmv
    http://www.e-fliterc.com/Content/Tours/mSR/video.html

I'm thinking if you are going coaxial, you really dont need a simulator, the thing is a whole lot less prone to crashing than a collective pitch machine. I tried flying my CX3 outside once...only once

gary, I know what you mean about the sim, really hard for me also. I just use it very briefly (Phoenix) for something totally new, then the T250 becomes the sim.

Hey Gary do you have the blade mSR?...I was gona give it a try since I been flying my Axe ez for a couple of years now on and off.
    I think I can handle it other than it is a lot smaller than my Axe ez.
    Worse that can happen is a few crashes.....lol

Art
    Art

Hey Art, I didn't know that you have already flown a co-ax..That makes a big difference, I flew the MSR at the hobby shop once for a few minutes and it is a fast little helicopter and also pretty rugged because the blades fold back on it .But it can fly fast and do a lot quicker maneuvers than the co-ax helis..
    I would love to get one but its tough to fly indoors but now that I can fly at the civic center locally if no one is on the basketball court I might have to get one..
    Gary

Also Andy , I was at Sam's club today and found a backup camera that is wireless and has a 7 inch monitor that I want to get for hooking up my boat mostly BUT it would be perfect for a FPV for a low cost setup it says it will do 70 feet but that is connected into a car or truck but it might go even further if not in a vehicle with all of the metal around it...AND its ONLY $55.00 Bucks...
    Going to get one in a few weeks then try it on the heli, Also since it is to hook up to a car I would think that you could hook it right into the voltage tap on a 3 cell Lipo cause its 12 volt...And just use a second 3 cell for the monitor.....
    Sounds like an easy way to start and cheap as hell....
    Gary

This is one of my helis, the Fury Tempest that I had before I quit and sold everything off almost 3 years ago. The hobby was getting too expensive for me to keep up so had to let go of everything.

I still occasionally practice with the Reflex simulator so I don't forget my flying touch so I can be ready for the return to the hobby one day

If I do return, I will be going all electric as nitro is quite expensive per gallon and also I hate to clean up the oil from the frame every time after flying, and to mention health and pollution problems.

Been eyeing that Avant E-Aurora 90 recently...but DAMN thats goes deeeep into the wallet!

Last edited by Hype62; 10-17-2009 at 01:17 AM.
    May 2000, T4-5 Complete.

Nam-Myoho-Renge-Kyo

Quote Originally Posted by Hype62 View Post

Been eyeing that Avant E-Aurora 90 recently...but DAMN thats goes deeeep into the wallet!
    A 90, eh? Big! Just do it!

You'd be surprised how cheap you can get in nowadays compared to a couple years ago, especially in the electric 450 and 500 classes. Now that China is in the game, things are really cheap, especially the batteries, then the cloned birds. I am horrified what I paid for a 3S lipo for my speed car last year compared to this year things are that cheap now.

Quote Originally Posted by garyv View Post
    Also Andy , I was at Sam's club today and found a backup camera that is wireless and has a 7 inch monitor that I want to get for hooking up my boat mostly BUT it would be perfect for a FPV for a low cost setup it says it will do 70 feet but that is connected into a car or truck but it might go even further if not in a vehicle with all of the metal around it...AND its ONLY $55.00 Bucks...
    Going to get one in a few weeks then try it on the heli, Also since it is to hook up to a car I would think that you could hook it right into the voltage tap on a 3 cell Lipo cause its 12 volt...And just use a second 3 cell for the monitor.....
    Sounds like an easy way to start and cheap as hell....
    Gary

Thanks for the tip! Unfortunately the season is ending here...freezing my butt off now outside. On a good note, I believe I finished up my masterpiece with all the details and tuning I wanted to do...really sweet bird now. Final setup has a nice calm 1650rpm headspeed but still has some balls to it yet flys smooth. And has perfect tail authority as well at that speed. Kind of strange going from this to say a 250...amazing how much correcting you do in flight with just mechanical cyclic stablization.

But I have my 250's all ready...gotta make sure I work lots of weekends and holidays to fly in the garage at work (rough job, lol)

(The tail blades are back to black in color now)