Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Radio controlled airplanes/helis/boats/cars?

Quote Originally Posted by garyv View Post
    Hey Andy , where did you get the 500 fuse kit? looks great,
    Also what type of 4 blade head are you using and did you have to add a skookum flybarless system to run a 4 blade head?
    Interesting.
    Gary
    Thanks. It's a smartmodel.com.tw fuse repainted with a couple mods, along with the CopterX (full flapping) head. Some say that you can run flybarless multiblades just fine by playing with blade tip weights and blade length. I'm more interested in flying it vs. fighting it, so it's running a Skookum. I think good analogy could be a debate of no gyro/rate gyro/hh gyro on the tail, all are flyable, which is more fun?

I tried it bare airframe no electronics and while it flew...it was quite quick, then tried to nose over post-landing from wind, so that testing ended after 1/2 pack and in went the SK360. In some ways it makes for a more realistic appearing flight if doing scale-type stuff, and works great. I'm thinking of putting a Mikado mini-vbar into one of my T250's now...but am quite horrified of the price of that, lol.

Anyway...since this project is pretty close to completion...the latest pic and an action-packed youtube of it hovering in the backyard. If you want to read sort of a build log...check RC Groups

Quote Originally Posted by Junkyarddog View Post
    I`ve got two 1/5 scale gas powered cars. Lauterbacher Super Cross -offroad all alloy chassis, 26cc gas engine,hydraulic brakes. Fg F1 Ferrari,23cc engine, hydraulic brakes. I use a two stick 3 channel radio for both.
    Way cool! How fast does something like that go?

Great looking and solid flying heli Andy..
    I have a trex 450 thats takes off like a friggin rocket before you know it. Getting better with a large open area.I used to fly the old schluter champions nitro 60s real steady flying helis but the smaller they are the faster they respond..
    I have the FG Marder offroad that looks a little like Junkyard dogs Lauderback, it goes about 35 or a little faster but with a gear change does over 40,. His F1 will haul ass you really need a lot of room , and a few bucks , for that setup, I think they do a little over 60. Hope he gets back on and says how fast they are neat BIG cars. The F1 is close to 2 feet long and the hydraulic brakes are great ..
    Gary

Hey Gary,

My first gasser was a Duratrax Firehammer which is a clone of the fg Marder. The Super Cross is a all out racer ,all alloy chassis,dual piston front hydro brakes, 26 cc Zenoath engine,2x locking rear diff,alloy tuned pipe,etc. Speed depends on gearing, but it will probably run 40 to 45 mph with this setup. It`s about 28"l x 15"w. The FG F1 is 36"l x 16"w and will run close to 60mph. My local hobby shop was going to build a paved road course to run road cars, but decided to build an oval track and run 1/4 scale cars. I have only run it a the local Walmart parking area and it zips across that so quick you can`t get the full performance from it. It`s a shelf queen. They are both money pits as Andy said.

That heli is awesome, would like to try something like that but will quad hands it might get very expensive quick.

Junkyarddog,
    If you want to try it out start with a co axe heli they are very stable and as JeffH said in his earlier post and has a link they are very stable slow flyers and easy to fly , and if you wreck its usually just a few bucks to fix around 15 bucks for all common parts to fix..
    I have the e-flite CX2 with the 2.4 mgz radio that can be used with most of e-flites other bind and fly 5 channel setups..I think I posted e-flites website earlier so check it out..
    Also are you going to want to sell the F1? I have always wanted one but dont have a place to run here either, you do need a lot of room to get one of those to wind out..
    Gary

Gary, try a slower headspeed, that'll calm it down nicely. If you dont have an eagletree to adjust for maybe 2300-2500rpm, just lower the curve until it starts bobbing the tailboom in flight, then up a bit to keep it smooth. That'll get in the ballpark and make it a little less frisky. Also, try the 8g paddles (HS1192) they give a lot more damping and stability to the head.

Junkyarddog,
    If you want to try it out start with a co axe heli they are very stable and as JeffH said in his earlier post and has a link they are very stable slow flyers and easy to fly , and if you wreck its usually just a few bucks to fix around 15 bucks for all common parts to fix..
    You dont even need any hands to fly one of those...

This Blade CX3 is what got me started with helis...it wasnt anything like this out of the box, but properly set up, it works well.

Edit...thought I'd whip up a little clip of some full bore passes with the speedcar geared for a gps verified 64mph...enjoy!

Last edited by Andy; 09-29-2009 at 09:16 PM. Reason: more stuff

Junkyarddog,
    I have the e-flite CX2 with the 2.4 mgz radio that can be used with most of e-flites other bind and fly 5 channel setups..I think I posted e-flites website earlier so check it out..
    Also are you going to want to sell the F1? I have always wanted one but dont have a place to run here either, you do need a lot of room to get one of those to wind out..
    Gary
    Gary,

I`ll have to look into the heli a little more before I try one. Rcuniverse.com is a great site for every kind of RC made.
    I had both cars for sale earlier in the year on e-bay and the top bidder had big dreams but no money. I`ll be keeping the F1 for now but will be selling the Super Cross in the near future.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Andy View Post
    You dont even need any hands to fly one of those...

This Blade CX3 is what got me started with helis...it wasnt anything like this out of the box, but properly set up, it works well.

Edit...thought I'd whip up a little clip of some full bore passes with the speedcar geared for a gps verified 64mph...enjoy!

Andy,

That Blade CX3 looks to be a cool little Heli. Can it do anything besides hover ? I would get bored will that pretty quick. Do you program the radio for your flights. Years ago a friend of mine had a large gas heli and it had 6 or 8 servos in it to control everYthing. He had a 10 or 12 channel radio for it.

Those nitro buggies do fly. I had a couple of Hyper 7`s . The problem is always tuning them,short run times and paying $6.00gal. for nitro.The gasser will run 45 mins. on one tank.

Bob

Quote Originally Posted by Junkyarddog View Post
    Gary,

I`ll have to look into the heli a little more before I try one. Rcuniverse.com is a great site for every kind of RC made.
    I had both cars for sale earlier in the year on e-bay and the top bidder had big dreams but no money. I`ll be keeping the F1 for now but will be selling the Super Cross in the near future.

Bob
    Thanks Bob ,
    I already have the FG Marder , not as nice as you lauderbach but I haven't run it in close to a year now,I was just asking on the F1 but it would probably set on the shelf too..
    The electric helis are nice and quiet close to the house but when I fire up the marder it gets noisey.And the wife works from the house so problems there
    You would like a co ax but they do not like any wind blowing so it needs to be inside or outside on a windless day, they are easy to get used to. They will fly kinda quick but not real fast , pirouettes and figure eights , a lot of guys use them when starting to fly helis to help them get used to orientation of flight before wrecking a 500 dollar heli.but they do not do a lot of stunts. After a co ax you can get a micro 3d but they can get tough to fly but still a lot cheaper to fix than a 450 or bigger..
    Gary