Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Radio controlled airplanes/helis/boats/cars?

Helis are getting quite cheap...best deal quality and price-wise in something big enough to learn on and small enough not to amputate you is this. You can get an electronics package for about $100 to get it flying, add a (good) radio system for about $180, and you're set. PM me for specifics if you want them. I have this airframe hauling around a scale fuselage very nicely. Of course sky's the limit with helis also, mostly electronics and how good you want them to be.

My stuff: 2 Trex 450's, both scalers, one cheap like above, the other one a money pit with 4 bladed flybarless head, 2 axis gyro on the cyclic, scale fuselage, and other fancy gizmos, etc. Then 2 Trex 250's...one pod/boom for screwing around and learning, the other a scaler also. A couple RC vehicles, one of which clocked via GPS at 73mph, but I geared it down to 64mph top speed for temperature issues. Lots of development with that one...it handles the speed very very well.

Definately a great hobby to get into.

A pic of the money pit...still a work in progress

Quote Originally Posted by garyv View Post
    hobbyking.com (great prices)
    Yup, best place for batteries, why even think of elsewhere!

Back in about 1989-93 I started with a RC10 1/10th scale buggy, then got an alcohol burning 1/4 scale TCM Sprint Car. Then a .40 Trainer airplane before I got bit by the heli bug. I've had five helis, three .60 size and two .45s. Even w/o the use of my fingers I can hover and fly but I'll leave the 360 stuff for someone else. And I need help working on it and getting it started. I still have a .40 trainer airplane and an XCell .60 chopper but haven't flown for a long, long time.

A friend of mine did have a business using an R/C chopper for aerial photography. Pretty amazing shots he got with that setup.

I was racing radio controlled cars when I was little. And must've been 18 years ago now. Actually went to real tracks and raised mostly adults. I was always into those kind of things when I was younger because of my mechanical skills. I loved it. I raced both on road oval and off-road with jumps and all sorts of directions. That was a lot of fun. Wish I could do it still but I'm not sure if I could.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Hey Rybread,
    If you can drive your chair you can get back into RC.
    Cars can be run with a stick radio so you can set it up just like a power chair joystick,.
    Also sail planes and a few high wing trainers, I am not sure what your function level is , I see C5-6 , but even if you can use a few fingers you can get set up now with all the new radio gear out there now its amazing with all of the mixes and functions that you can do with one stick.
    If inerested check wih a few local hobby shops for clubs , there are a lot of good guys in some clubs that would be more than willing to help you out..
    Gary

Hey Andy , where did you get the 500 fuse kit? looks great,
    Also what type of 4 blade head are you using and did you have to add a skookum flybarless system to run a 4 blade head?
    Interesting.
    Gary

I`ve got two 1/5 scale gas powered cars. Lauterbacher Super Cross -offroad all alloy chassis, 26cc gas engine,hydraulic brakes. Fg F1 Ferrari,23cc engine, hydraulic brakes. I use a two stick 3 channel radio for both.
    Last edited by Junkyarddog; 09-27-2009 at 01:50 PM. Reason: add pics

i had a friend that wanted to get one so we went to a hobby shop the man ask have you ever tried fly one? my friend said no but i was watching people at a park and it looked fun and they told me it wasn't that hard to do. so the man said okay we have a sim on the computer give a try and see how you do. needless to say we left without a chopper but i did get some free air brush paint.
    Street Dreamz c.c. maryland

Anyone flying planes?

Here is one that I am looking at now looks like a neat little plane with slow flight as well but still 3D capable.
    http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...ProdID=EFL9080
    here is a video of it.
    http://www.e-fliterc.com/ProdInfo/Files/EFL9080_hi.wmv
    Neat little foamy I think. Also Eflight stuff is everywhere and really inexpensive compared to most other brands..
    Gary