Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 678910111213141516

Thread: Radio controlled airplanes/helis/boats/cars?

I just looked on YouTube and found this video which has somebody who has found a futaba radio to the DJI. I would suggest you actually message him and ask him how he did it and what the set up connections were and explain to him what you're trying to do. He probably be willing to tell you exactly what you need. Assuming you want to go with that kind of radio

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uq11mrKlOSQ

I just looked on YouTube and found this video which has somebody who has found a futaba radio to the DJI. I would suggest you actually message him and ask him how he did it and what the set up connections were and explain to him what you're trying to do. He probably be willing to tell you exactly what you need. Assuming you want to go with that kind of radio

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uq11mrKlOSQ

Some video of my 'easier to see' drone. It's a Goblin 500 with a few lightheads you might find on your average cop car attached to it. If you watch all the way to the end, you get a prize! (hint: watch where you're walking when filming, lol)

I want to get an RC Car/Truck and put a camera on it so that I can drive it around my house/yard and view it from my computer. I've seen some that have cameras built in, but I've only seen ones that are visible and/or controlled by ipads or android device. I thought about putting a wireless webcam with a portable power supply atop an RC vehicle but I'm not sure that's practical.

Anyone have an idea what else might work?

PS I need a vehicle that's controlled with two switches (forward/backward & left/right), not a trigger and wheel controller.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott C4/5 View Post
    I want to get an RC Car/Truck and put a camera on it so that I can drive it around my house/yard and view it from my computer. I've seen some that have cameras built in, but I've only seen ones that are visible and/or controlled by ipads or android device. I thought about putting a wireless webcam with a portable power supply atop an RC vehicle but I'm not sure that's practical.

Anyone have an idea what else might work?

PS I need a vehicle that's controlled with two switches (forward/backward & left/right), not a trigger and wheel controller.
    That would be fairly straightforward. You could go for 1:10 size for around the house, but that might be a bit big for the house, and somewhat small for outdoors. Or go 1:8 size which would be much better for outdoors, but kind of overkill for in the house. In the house might be pretty boring, so best bet would be just stick with outdoors and 1:8 scale.

Now as far at the camera/radio. Most hobby grade cars are 'you build it' type of stuff. As far as control, you can do a stick transmitter easily, just get one. Something like a DX6i will be good as far as quality goes. It has much more channels than you need, but it is a good stick tx. You can get some cheaper low-grade stick tx's, but they are low grade, and can be a pain as far as quality and resolution/linearity goes. Add a receiver, servo, and ESC, and the control of the car is done.

For camera stuff, here is some ideas... http://hobbywireless.com/mini-fpv-cameras-c-179_122_6/

For wireless video, here's some systems that you could use... http://hobbywireless.com/video-recei...ter-c-179_117/

Power for all this stuff can come off of the vehicle's battery with an appropriate BEC (basically a voltage reducer). All in all, it would be a very do-able idea, just add money, lol.

ETA: You'd probably want something more in the rock-crawler spectrum vs. a full-on race buggy/truggy. Reason being, bigger wheels which help out on more non-prepared course type areas. I was looking a bit to see what's on sale nowadays, and thought this was kind of cool. Makes me want to revisit the RC car world now, lol

Last edited by Andy; 06-14-2015 at 09:18 AM.

My latest version of "drone". I stuck my new Yi camera to the nose of my Goblin 500 and sent it up. I think the Yi camera is pretty nice, higher quality guts at a fraction of the price of a similar grade GoPro. I ordered a narrower field of view lens for it for better stalker-cam action in future usage. This is with the stock lens, with software 'lens rectification'. Cool thing is, even after a fancy new lens, it's still cheaper than a similar video quality GoPro. Gotta love the Chinese!

(switch the video to HD for full effect)

Blog Entries
    Oh, that's awesome. Love RC.
    "I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it." - Edgar Allen Poe

"If you only know your side of an issue, you know nothing." -John Stuart Mill, On Liberty

"Even what those with the greatest reputation for knowing it all claim to understand and defend are but opinions..." -Heraclitus, Fragments