Page 1 of 16 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Radio controlled airplanes/helis/boats/cars?

Question Radio controlled airplanes/helis/boats/cars?

Hey,
    I was curious if any others out there monkeyed with RC vehicles for fun.

I bought myself 2 helis (ones a beginners one more for indoors (Esky Lama v4), the other is a more advanced one for outdoors (Esky Belt CP)) and a plane (E-flite Funtana 300) this summer. My gf laughed at me and rolled her eyes when I said I was getting them, but what can I say, I'm a big kid at heart. I've found them a load of fun... but quad hands (C5 incomplete) make controlling them tricky at times.... but I was surprised how well I could fly them... and how much fun I got out of using them.

I've flown the helis more thusfar cause I can do it solo cause I find if you crash them it happens close to you were you can go pick up the pieces LOL (not 100 feet out into a grass field)... tho the planes been really fun the little I've flown it. The guy who's my attendant has been into RC planes for years so he got me hooked and we go out and fly the plane some mornings together with his plane too.

So I was curious if anyone else had RCs out there... and if so, what??

Those without whom are interested should try it... its actually pretty doable even as a quad. Download a try RealFlight v4 demo for the PC to get an idea of flying planes/helis....

This is me with my outdoor heli... the 2nd time flying it.... not doing great but ok for a 2nd flight.... after about 30+ flights now I can hover it in control now, move it around slowly in all directions (drifting in control) and do a little slow forward flight... had 2 crashes so far... a little repair and $25 in parts was the only fix-it costs.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5s_8ZhmYvc4

yeah, i've always wanted to learn a rc heli to get into aerial photography.... $$$$ & time being the main prohibiting factors.

this guy uses a maxi joker & does amazing work: www.gravityshots.com

I am into the helis - I have 2 nitro powered, (.50cc & .80cc) and I just ordered a small electric one the other day....
    Also have 2 1/8th scale nitro buggies, & 2 electric cars......
    The helis are much more fun. Just takes practice...lots of practice.....
    -tw

hehe, yah, practice is the key word... takes a little time getting used to how to move the controls in diff situations

@Scott, electric helis aren't too expensive... my esky belt cp cost me about $220 w/shipping... i like it a lot, good newbie buy i think

Anybody still flying?
    I searched for RC stuff so I didnt open a new one.
    I am just getting back into flying helicopters after about a ten year lay off from flying, and things have really changed in ten years with RC stuff.
    I have a few Trex 450s and a E Flite CX2 for inside now.
    The 450s are neat little helis. And quick as anything. I am not 3D by any means just hover ,forward flight , nose in and easy stuff right now. Hoping to get inverted in a few months with practice.
    Gary

I flew gas-powered RC planes as a teenager. I'd like to get back into flying, but I'm torn whether to go with gas for the nostalgia or electric for the convenience. I used to fly more aerobatic models, but now I think I'd like something easy, like a powered 2-meter glider that would use the engine to get some altitude, then would float down or stay aloft on thermals.

Anyway, it's probably going to be a while before I have both the time and the money get back into R/C. Still fun to talk about though.

Eh I don't fly. I tried before with RC trainer planes and it was a disater. I however drive. Got me a Hopped up E-Revo 4x4 with Brushless motor that I race. Love the Off Road scene. Still working on the overall truck and for now it's just for fun. But I got a top speed the other day of 48 MPH out of her. Scary stuff, I love it!

Jimmy

Micro helis

I've been having a lot of fun with a micro coaxial heli.

I have a bunch of planes and two helis but the most fun lately has come from a E-flite Blade MCx micro.
    http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLH2200

I fly it in my living room.
    It's so easy to fly that I've handed the controls to over thirty different people, most of whom have never flown an RC, and 99% can fly it right away.
    It weighs less than an ounce and fits in the palm of a hand.
    Doh!

Quote Originally Posted by Zero View Post
    I flew gas-powered RC planes as a teenager. I'd like to get back into flying, but I'm torn whether to go with gas for the nostalgia or electric for the convenience. I used to fly more aerobatic models, but now I think I'd like something easy, like a powered 2-meter glider that would use the engine to get some altitude, then would float down or stay aloft on thermals.
    Check on a few websites and see if there are any local clubs in your area as well.
    Here are a few websites that have some great people and lists to local clubs that might be in your area , and there are a lot of people selling used equipment on there as well.
    I would go with electric to get back into it because no clean up and plenty of power now with the new Lipo batteries out there , and check ebay or hobbyking website. A few of them are direct out of china and you get great prices but you have to wait 2 weeks for an order.
    here are a few websites for RC helis
    runryder.com
    helifreak.com
    hobbyking.com (great prices)
    readyheli.com (regular prices but fast same day shipping and have everything for helis)
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by JeffH View Post
    I've been having a lot of fun with a micro coaxial heli.

I have a bunch of planes and two helis but the most fun lately has come from a E-flite Blade MCx micro.
    http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=EFLH2200

I fly it in my living room.
    It's so easy to fly that I've handed the controls to over thirty different people, most of whom have never flown an RC, and 99% can fly it right away.
    It weighs less than an ounce and fits in the palm of a hand.
    E-Flight has a lot of great helis and planes that fly right out of the box and really good prices to get you started again.
    The little 3D biplane foamy is a neat little plane for indoors or out, and easy to fly.
    Sure is great to get out and do stuff like this for little money now days.
    When I started flying years ago if you crashed a helicopter it cost over $100 to fix it now you can get one redy to fly for $125..
    Gary