Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Caregivers Introductions

Hi...my name is Tony, and i live in Florida. I had car accident in 1980 that left me with C5-C6 complete. Since then i learned to drive again, grad college, work last 10 yrs for Nielsen Ratings and pursue my career in the arts as a writer (wrote a book of short stories) and music (sing in a band).

www.anthonyrainstarez.com

My mother has helped me physically for years, but she's growing older...i'll need to find a caregiver one day, but don't think i make enough to pay. I do have a nice three-bedroom house to offer a room, but not a lotta cash...any ideas???

I just found this site, thought i'd ask...feel free to e-mail me direct!!

tony
    tony.starez@verizon.net[img]www.anthonyrainstarez.com[/img]

anthony rain starez

Hi, I am Gina. I am the wife/caregiver of a quad, incomplete C3-6. He is 100% dependent and has no return since his injury August 2000. He had just retired from his job at age 55 and we moved from WA to Texas. Two months after we got here he had an auto accident. We live in a remote area and receive no assistance. He has been in two rehab programs, but refuses anymore rehab. The first two years were hell on earth as no matter how hard I worked, he cried and begged me EVERY DAY to let him die. Finally I got sick of hearing it and said, Ok, we will go to Switzerland. HE NEVER SAID IT AGAIN. And my tough love approach has brought about (along with antidepressants)a real attitude adjustment. I love him. His beautiful eyes still give me chills. I told him once that I missed more than anything sleeping with him. So he had me move his body to the edge of the bed and asked me to put his arm around me. I slept that way all night. Quite a sacrifice for him considering he is in constant pain and spasms. I am in this for the long haul.

Gina, welcome! Please feel free to join in, and ask questions, rant, or giggle with us - whatever the mood may be! Sounds as though you have your hands full - let us know if we can help, or if you just need a place to come and scream!

Thank you Marmalady. Actually I am taking a break for 13 days to go to visit my children and my only granddaughter in WA. My husband reluctantly goes to a nursing facility about 30 miles from home. That works as some of the folks in the community go to visit him and take him ice cream and such and do his laundry for me. I have been very blessed with a peaceful nature and try to respect how frustrating this life change has to be for him. Even though when he is screaming at me I would like to thump his little bald head. LOL