Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Caregivers Introductions

Caregivers Introductions

Sadly, it seems as though we have quite a few new caregivers who, through necessity, have found this wonderful site,and our forum. I thought it might be nice to do an introduction to include the new folks.

So...I'll start.

I'm Vicky, and my daughter Brianna was injured on March 31, 1999 while on her way to school her senior year. It's been 4 1/2 years (oh my God!) and we've gone through just about everything except pressure sores (Thank God!). She is trying her best to get to college, hopefully this January. She is ready to live independently!!! And no one worked harder than she did to get to this point. She amazes me, truly.

Okay, you guys...check in!!

Great idea, VIcky - was thinking the same thing the other day!

I'm jackie, and the mom of a 26 year old son, who's a c4-5, also with a TBI, almost 5 years ago now. Here for support, and hopefully to give back some of the wonderful support I've received, to help others through the web of living with sCI.

I'm Kathy and my husband had a bleed in his spinal cord, cause unknown. The resulting blood clot did the damage. T4 incomplete, 4 years ago this Christmas. Wish I could find more time to post, but since returning to work full time I have been a bit frantic trying to juggle everything. We have seen many changes since day 1 and my husband continues to improve in his overall health and function, especially since he began regular workouts in the pool last year. We have a college age daughter and our son is in his senior year in high school.

hey, i'm debra, sister and full-time caregiver to my brother, who has c 5-6 complete injury, type l diabetes and tbi after an mva three years ago. i also am the cook for our espresso shop. i am also an rn, puppy trainer, litter box emptier and driver! we have come a long way from those scarey first months when they told me to just put him in a nursing home. i found this site a year ago and have learned alot,most importantly that i am not alone. my brother wakes up everyday with a smile on his face, an i love you and thank you for all that you do- what strength he has! i take pride in his accomplishments, his good health and our beating the odds he was given.

Nice thread VIcky!

I am Laura, and my daughter Heather was injured June 15, 2000 at the age of 8. She is a T-12 complete and also had compartment syndrome in her right arm. Luckily most of the function has returned to her right arm. She was a backseat passenger in a car that her aunt was driving (who was killed). Her brother was in the front seat and got a large cut on his forehead. She is getting more independent with every year. She rides a horse and drives the four wheeler every where. She is an "A" student in 6th grade

Hi...
    My bf is a c5/6 incomplete, 20 years post. Although he doesn't need a caregiver and was living independently before we met, there are times when he needs help. I come here to get advice and support. Sometimes he brushes things off like it's not a big deal (ie UTI that landed him in the hospital a few months back). I come here and ask the experts.

Mark was injured in 1983 when he dove into a river to save a little boy who was in trouble. His head hit a rock and crushed his neck. He was 18 years old.

Hi,

My dearest husband is t10 since April 11, 2001 after he fell out of tree. I love to come here and learn new things or just give people advice if they need one.

This site has helped us greatly about all of the therapies that we didn't know of and they have been helping him also.

k

Hi, I'm Stacey and my husband, Joe, was injured almost 1 year ago. He is a C5/C6 incomplete. We are still learning how to cope with all of this everyday. We have been married four years and have 6 children between the two of us. I am a fulltime oncology nurse, JOe was going to school to get a degree in microbology at the time of his accident.

Hi!
    My name is Annie and my husband was injured 6/02 when he fell off of a 15 foot fence. He's c4 complete and we are just getting settled at home and working on getting his trach and peg removed.
    This group has been such a lifeline for me and the support and information are priceless!
    I can't thank all of the other caregivers enough for their honesty and openness about their lives and feelings- it has really helped me!

Hi-
    My bf is a C6 incomplete. 1 year post injury. He's been living with me for the last 6 months. I'm there for him whenever he needs me. I find doctors, make appontments,drive to appointments, and other driving.
    He is VERY able and mostly I'm there to listen, encourage, and love him to pieces! I have two sons and I keep house, cook, and garden. I love to read for enjoyment, and for research.
    Someday, I hope to sing again while standing next to a grand piano that my bf is playing. He's not there yet but, HE DID START PRACTICING this week!!!
    Thanks to all,
    SoulMate

We are all faced with a series of great opportunities... Brilliantly disguised as impossible situations.