Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flu Season 2008 Alert!

Flu Season 2008 Alert!

It will soon be flu season in the northern hemisphere. Time to think about where YOU are going to be getting your flu shot (usually available on or about October 1:

From the CDC, these are the people who should be top priority for getting flu immunization every year:

1. Patients at risk of complications:
    Persons 65 years or older
    Residents of nursing homes
    Patients with chronic heart or lung conditions, including asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) and heart failure
    Patients with certain chronic medical conditions such as diabetes, kidney problems, cancer, chemotherapy, long-term steroid treatment, sickle-cell disease or HIV infection
    Women who will be pregnant during flu season
    Children receiving chronic aspirin therapy
    2. Healthy children 6 to 23 months of age

3. Individuals with neuro-muscular conditions (such as multiple sclerosis, Alzheimer’s, spinal cord injuries, or muscular dystrophies)

4. Household contacts of high-risk patients (including contacts of children 0 to 23 months of age) (this includes your family members, close friends, and PCAs).

5. Health care workers involved in direct patient care.

Time now to call your physician and make an appointment for your flu shot, sometime in early October, ideally.

(KLD)

I have am sick and it is summer? I am 44 and 24 post so I get everything but the lotto?

I just had the stomach flu last week, for the first time in dozens of years. WHAT A TREAT getting to puke while sitting. God I thought George forman had dropped a few of his grills on my ribcage for body shots. It was hard to breathe for a week. Skip this if'n ya'll can.

I don't understand why I am at risk for flu. I am a low para and my breath is very good. I ask because my doctor refuses me every year and last year I got it and I was sent to the hospital but they kicked me out because it was only flu and they had "sick" patients to take care of. It was not their fault I could not walk. I had 40 C in fever and couldn't get out of the bed because of dizziness.
    TH 12, 43 years post

There is no such thing as stomach flu. You may have had an infectious gastroenteritis, which can cause nausea and vomiting, or something like the Norwalk virus. Influenza is a respiratory illness. It does not generally cause vomiting or diarrhea.

Generally your risks goes down if you have all your abdominal muscles intact, as the inability to cough and breathe effectively is significantly impaired with any abdominal paralysis, so if your injury is T12 or below, it is not as critical, but EVERYONE (regardless of age or disability) really should get their flu shot to PREVENT the flu.

(KLD)

When you are scheduling your flu shot be sure to ask about getting a Pneumococcal vaccine, also known as Pneumovax. It protects you from some of the nastiest bacterial infections, including pneumonia, meningitis and septicaemia.

It is especially important for those use with SCI who also had their spleen removed (which not uncommon with severe tramua).

KLD what is the current recommendation for vaccination frequency with Pneumovax? My research is finding everything from getting a booster every 5 years to one dose is all you ever need.

Finally, I had a pretty bad local reaction (not systemic) with my last pneumovax shot back in 2000. Bad enough that my doc put me on a cycle of prednisolone (it was the second pneumovax I had gotten, the other ~1992). Do need to worry that my next dose will cause even worse side effects?

We call it Norvo virus and everybody has got it here now. I have been sick for over a week. Terrible. I think they should have a shot for it
    TH 12, 43 years post

I want the flu. I want to know what it's like to be sick. Bring it on!!!

Presently I have a cold. Do I have to wait for it to clear before getting a flu shot?

The current recommendation for those with SCI getting Pneumovax is to get is as soon as possible after the injury, and then repeat it 1X at the age of 60. This could change in the future, but that is what the VA is currently promoting, and they generally follow CDC recommendations.

You can get a flu shot if you are not allergic to chickens, eggs or feathers, have not had a fever within the last 24 hours, and have not ever had Guillian-Barre. If you are latex allergic or sensitive, be sure you are getting the latex free type (and with a latex free syringe).

(KLD)