Thread: what is denuded skin and is there a fix

what is denuded skin and is there a fix

I.ve just recovered from a nasty stage 4 sore, osteo and all. I've been getting up but the nurses say that they're having little openings from dry tender skin.

They call it denuded skun. They treat it by smearing different creams 2x daily but every time I get up and go back to bed there's more denuded skin.

Is there a helping hand.

Also, when in the VA they had a thin foam sticky back cover for basically superficial openings.

Any nurse or VA nurse know what it is?

B2L

'Denuded' is a new one for me but I'm going to guess it means 'scar tissue' in that it's skin without proper capillaries for proper circulation. No pores, etc. Lemme check ...

A check on the internets says a loss of the epidermal layer.

There are a bunch of barrier creams, sprays, etc that might help. The area will be sensitive to opening for the next year or two (I'm sorry but I have experience in this area).

I don't have a subscription but this could help us both! http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/j...TRY=1&SRETRY=0

As for the 'sticky thin foam', are you thinking Mepilex Border? There are other typs - Allevyn, Biatain ... anything sounding familiar?

Definately the nurse'll know. Just trying to help.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%BC...en_by_Internet

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

HI,

In my experience, denuded skin is when the top layer is off, sore is very superficial and usual caused from a shearing force.

As above, there are many taypes of foam backed dressings used in teh VA, depending on which VA you are at. I am familiar Allevyn but here is a site where you can compare. Foam dressings have no medication and act as a cushion for pressure and can absorb drainage if needed, which does not sound like the case with your wound.

AAD

http://www.woundcareshop.com/foamdressings.aspx

Mepilex Border is a thin one that might help with shearing.

It's tricky because too much cream can re-open a wound, not enough and the wound will be too dry and crack! Sounds like your nurses know what they're doing!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M%C3%BC...en_by_Internet

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

I appreciate the info. I told the nurses the answer would be on this site.
    Again thanks a lot. I thought it might be as simple as putting clothes on. (horn honks)
    b2l

I use 'shea body butter' - great product, morning and night on an old, pressure area/wound and use a standard, mepilex dressing just for protection. Used to get a hell of problem with it - not any more!

Denuded skin

Denuded skin is skin that is caused by contact with feces and urine. I am looking for a treatment that works for a large painful area. Currently the Butt Paste we are using is sticking to the brief and is pulling off skin everytime it is removed. Any help would be great.

Denuded skin is just another way of saying that the top layer (epidermis) of skin is gone...either from friction (abrasion or tear), trauma (tape burns), or severe rashes, or from a stage II pressure ulcer.

If you have rashes from moisture, then first, fix the moisture problem (ie, take care of leaking catheters, leaking between caths, etc.) and then protect the skin. If severe, a LIGHT covering of antifungal cream is OK, OR a LIGHT dusting with antifungal powder, but not both, and never cake it on. Groin rashes should also be treated with cleaning and patting dry the skin and laying in the frog position for at least 1 hour 2-3X daily, then applying the creams or powders. Avoid using products like Baza that have zinc oxide in them. You must scrape them off to re-apply or see (to inspect) the skin, and this in itself can cause trauma.

For prevention of moisture problems, I like to use the 3M No-Sting Protective Barrier swabs or spray. Apply only once daily, and you can wash off urine or stool with soap and water on top of this without removing. It is also clear and makes skin inspection a snap. This also helps to prevent tape burn if you have dressings.

If you are using dressings to the pelvis and are getting tape burns, see if you can get the net pants that can be used to secure dressings there and not use tape at all. Conveen makes some nice ones.

Friction from slide board transfers on scar tissue can easily cause tears. A mechanical lift is safer for both you and your caregiver in these circumstances.

It is likely the foam dressing you are referring to is Alyvyn. It is OK for light protection and padding, but you can get skin tears from the adhesive, and need to remove it to inspect the skin. It must be changed at least daily.

(KLD)

Thanks for the pointers, KLD, I'll go out and get some of the 3M No-Sting Protective Barrier stuff tomorrow. I had not heard of it before, and there's a small area on my wife's bottom that I think could use protection like that. The stuff I've been using hasn't seemed to make much difference.

As far as skin that's irritated/sore from being continually damp because it's located in a fold (e.g., belly flap), I've had great success by keeping a small piece of cloth, like a strip of old T-shirt, in the fold.

- Richard