Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MIL's Surgery Miracle

MIL's Surgery Miracle

Miraculously, the stent procedure was a success with my husband's Mom Millie's tennis-ball sized abdominal aortic aneurysm. Prior to a surprise heart cath yesterday, when they were evaluating her ability to survive AAA surgery at 74, docs said stent was not a possibility due to the huge size of her aneurysm. With the stent, they insert a device thru the groin artery, up into the aneurysm. Easy peasy.

Contrast that with the real surgery, where they would have had to go thru her abdomen, dislodge stomach, lung, liver, gall bladder, who knows what all, just to get to it. It was between her kidney and spine.

Original estimate was 10 days in ICU, 3 months recovery.

Current prognosis: She may get to go home TOMORROW!! Basically WELL!!

I guess some pulmonologist told Millie she was wasting her time, her lungs won't last 5 years. What an ASSHOLE. God, I hate doctors that give no hope. 5 years is a big deal when you've got great-grandkids that are 6, 2 and 1 in utero. What would some of us have given for another 5 years with a grandmother or great-grandmother?

Just because this is interesting: She had a double bypass more than 20 years ago. 1 of them is clogged. Here's what I think is cool-the other one grew a supplemental artery at some point.

Thanks for the prayers and PM's, y'all.

Yay!!! Good for her, and all of you too.

(to the pulmonologist with the lousy bedside manner...Pffffft. A big fat juicy razzzberry)

Double that skippy, and Beth, Vet said he had a soft spot for you, said you were quite a lady.

Quote Originally Posted by fishin'guy
    Double that skippy, and Beth, Vet said he had a soft spot for you, said you were quite a lady.
    Vet is one smart man, no doubt

Glad it worked out well for your MIL betheny.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Praise God! Ask and you shall receive!

I'm so happy for your family Bethany. {hugs}

Betheny,
    That is great news! I am so glad for your entire family.

I am so glad she is doing well. My grandfather had more than one aaa, back before the stent was an option. The surgery corrected one, and gave him several more years. (And a great grand child - my oldest, the only one of the kids who knew him) Like you said, a few years can mean a lot. I am glad they performed the surgery ..... there was a lot of concern about it, it was 25 years ago, and the prognosis wasn;t good. I didn;t want to mention him before her surgery.

(different times, not 2 at once)
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Very good news, Betheny but doesn't your life ever just flow along uneventfully? LOL. Really, it seems one drama/crisis after another for quite a while now.

BTW, just thought I'd take this opportunity to say how I finally got it (maybe ten days ago) that your comments in my "...Bug..." tread were entirely innocent and sincere. My bad but I wish you could see the original post I was referencing to get an idea how I could have shifted realities/perspectives in mid-thread like I did.

Happy, happy on your MIL.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin
    Very good news, Betheny but doesn't your life ever just flow along uneventfully? LOL. Really, it seems one drama/crisis after another for quite a while now.

BTW, just thought I'd take this opportunity to say how I finally got it (maybe ten days ago) that your comments in my "...Bug..." tread were entirely innocent and sincere. My bad but I wish you could see the original post I was referencing to get an idea how I could have shifted realities/perspectives in mid-thread like I did.

Happy, happy on your MIL.
    C'mon Jukie, you've proven time and again that you're a hell of a lot smarter than saying to a woman - "I'm sorry, but it isn't really my fault."

Sorry betheny, I hitchhiked on a hijacker But Steve knows I love both him and you too, so it ain't no big deal I reckon. It is cool about your MIL
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

C'mon Bobby, if you can't/didn't get it from the post, I wasn't saying the, " but it isn't really my fault." part you attribute. You're way too smart to miss that I'd know where this is really coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by rdf
    Maybe when speaking about selling her virginity, she's talking about rear-entry - which very well may be virgin territory.
    Quote Originally Posted by Juke_spin
    Bobby, I think you may have revealed your true bent.
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthr...=106794&page=4

No biggie though.
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane