Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Career Choices

Career Choices

I've been thinking about different career paths and I don't really know what way to go. Does anyone know of any good careers to do in our situation that would be easier and successful. I wanted to get into Fashion and Design and design clothing for men and women with SCI that would be more comfortable but stylish for all of us. I just get scared that it won't be that successful knowing that a lot of men and women go for brand name items. Any suggestions would be very helpful... thanks
    God is good

Whatever you do, don't go into designing Nightwear for SCI's, evidently they're most all nighttime nudists.

I see by ur profile that your a public speaker?--You contract out? Did you take that in college? And come on girl if you gonna get into something your not going to be successful unless you think you will be.As a public speaker that takes ALOT of confidence, so maybe you should research a bit more and find something that you may feel you be able to kill at, maybe it will be designing something else for SCI's never know.
    Good luck young lady

I reckon we're a practical bunch of people... I can only speak for myself but pockets are a big thing for me. I have a down under bag, and a backpack for most my stuff but I have a PDA phone which I use constantly for work and wallet etc. so i need to have easy access to those all the time. For me down under bags don't really give this so I use cargo pants in situations where its suitable - never for work though as they aren't real dressy if you know what I mean. Wearing a business jacket is out of the question as it gets all folded up when your constantly sitting in your wheelchair - if not damaged by the wheels as you go from point A to B.

Just my .02

Quote Originally Posted by rollinprincess3227
    I've been thinking about different career paths and I don't really know what way to go. Does anyone know of any good careers to do in our situation that would be easier and successful.
    Do you really want your disability to define you to this extent? It's a fact that there are certain things you probably can't do, such as jogging, figure skating and perhaps ballet dancing, but overall, paraplegics have almost limitless possibilities. I think you should focus more on what you like doing and what you're good at rather than what may appear "easier". In the long run, I believe you stand a much greater chance of being both happy and financially successful.

I wanted to get into Fashion and Design and design clothing for men and women with SCI that would be more comfortable but stylish for all of us. I just get scared that it won't be that successful knowing that a lot of men and women go for brand name items.
    So why can't you become the brand name that men and women go for? Have you seen the TV show "Project Runway"? Even many of the losers seem to have found careers for themselves in the fashion industry. Can you think of any good reason why you couldn't be a competitor on that show?

C.

Quote Originally Posted by Keiser
    Wearing a business jacket is out of the question as it gets all folded up when your constantly sitting in your wheelchair - if not damaged by the wheels as you go from point A to B.
    That's not true. As long as they fit correctly and take into account one's chair configuration, there is no absolute reason that one can't wear a suit jacket.

If anything, fashioning jackets for wheelchair users is a great place for an aspiring designer to start. It's an interesting niche that could have a great marketing angle.

C.

Carol you look fabulous.

Quote Originally Posted by Timaru
    Carol you look fabulous.
    x2, and the car is nice.. o and rollinprincess3227 is hot
    http://www.facebook.com/ivicamaotze.rod

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger Racing
    Do you really want your disability to define you to this extent? It's a fact that there are certain things you probably can't do, such as jogging, figure skating and perhaps ballet dancing, but overall, paraplegics have almost limitless possibilities. I think you should focus more on what you like doing and what you're good at rather than what may appear "easier". In the long run, I believe you stand a much greater chance of being both happy and financially successful.

So why can't you become the brand name that men and women go for? Have you seen the TV show "Project Runway"? Even many of the losers seem to have found careers for themselves in the fashion industry. Can you think of any good reason why you couldn't be a competitor on that show?

C.
    Thank you for that, and I really didn't mean easier cause I will reach to my limits to do what I want to do if I feel I will be successful.
    I have so many great ideas for clothing for us women in chairs. such as: different pants, cause my bum likes to hang out, sandals to stay on our feet and also on our chairs, and what women love about being a SCI, the little para or quad bellies. Different shirts to cover that. I just feel I can help us be a lot more confident in our appearance in our chairs, even though I see alot of women on here that don't have that problem.
    I have a question for all the ladies:
    Do you go for clothing with brand names or clothing that fits better?? I can honestly admit that I would go out and buy some BEBE jeans just cause they were cute for $200, they don't fit right, and I still have them in my closet.
    God is good

Quote Originally Posted by fishin'guy
    I see by ur profile that your a public speaker?--You contract out? Did you take that in college? And come on girl if you gonna get into something your not going to be successful unless you think you will be.As a public speaker that takes ALOT of confidence, so maybe you should research a bit more and find something that you may feel you be able to kill at, maybe it will be designing something else for SCI's never know.
    Good luck young lady
    I work for a company called Think First in the North County of SD. I didn't take it in college. I have a friend at Project Walk that got me into it, and I thank god for her. I love doing what I do at the schools. I really can just be myself in front of all the kids and they really appreciate what we all do on a daily basis. It's a K-12 program. I'll get my video on here when its done on what the kids see before I speak in the classroom.
    God is good