Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tightening spokes, what do I do?

tightening spokes, what do I do?

Okay, I used to ride bicycles and motorcycles, and I recall being told (about motorcycle spokes) "NEVER tighten them yourself b/c you can screw it up really bad", so I am kinda paranoid about how to tighten the spokes on my chair.

Anyway, my chair started squeaking some from the right wheel yesterday, I "strummed" the spokes, and one of them is REALLY loose, so I am guessing that that is what is making it so noisy.

How do I know how tight to tighten the spoke? Is there any trick to it? Do I need a special tool, or can I just do it with a pair of pliers?

thanks

spokes

I currently have the same problem and I was told if you take them to a bike (pedal) shop they will take carer of it for you.

What kind of wheels are you running with?

When I had sunrise spoked wheels I would tighten them as needed , no big deal. A regular spoke wrench (from a bike shop) does the job. I never had a wheel that was out of true though, just loose spokes. If your wheel is bent you probably want to go to a bike shop to let them tighten / true.

I now have Spinergy spox and haven't had a need to adjust spokes.

i put mine up on a balancing jig (left over from my motorcycle days) and go around 'tapping' them and making sure they all ring the same tone. any flat and i tighten them, any sharp and i loosen them a little...mostly tighten though...but sometimes i over do it and the ring goes sharp and have to back down a little.

i have no idea if this is correct, but as a strings musician it seems to make sense that the same OD wire at the same tension should ring the same tone on all spokes.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Quote Originally Posted by ChesBay
    What kind of wheels are you running with?

When I had sunrise spoked wheels I would tighten them as needed , no big deal. A regular spoke wrench (from a bike shop) does the job. I never had a wheel that was out of true though, just loose spokes. If your wheel is bent you probably want to go to a bike shop to let them tighten / true.

I now have Spinergy spox and haven't had a need to adjust spokes.
    I got sunrise wheels too, with a bajillion spokes on them. I guess I will go get a spoke wrench today after school. Hopefully one day soon I will be able to convince my insurance company that I NEED some spinergys.

Quote Originally Posted by Daleb
    i put mine up on a balancing jig (left over from my motorcycle days) and go around 'tapping' them and making sure they all ring the same tone. any flat and i tighten them, any sharp and i loosen them a little...mostly tighten though...but sometimes i over do it and the ring goes sharp and have to back down a little.

i have no idea if this is correct, but as a strings musician it seems to make sense that the same OD wire at the same tension should ring the same tone on all spokes.
    Dale, I have heard of the tapping method, and that is pretty much what I used to determine that one was loose. I just am not sure how far to tighten it up, since I have been banging around off curbs and down stairs for the last 10 months, I imagine that all of them are a little loose.

I've tightened mine and even had to replace some that got bent. When I tighten them I sqeeze several together and feel how much they flex, then make them all even. I have no idea if this is the best way though.
    Andrew

Quote Originally Posted by funklab
    I got sunrise wheels too, with a bajillion spokes on them. I guess I will go get a spoke wrench today after school. Hopefully one day soon I will be able to convince my insurance company that I NEED some spinergys.

Dale, I have heard of the tapping method, and that is pretty much what I used to determine that one was loose. I just am not sure how far to tighten it up, since I have been banging around off curbs and down stairs for the last 10 months, I imagine that all of them are a little loose.
    gotcha - well, i don't know the torque specs on my spokes either...i just tighten the 'flat' ones until their tone matches the bulk of the others - that's when i know they are 'tight enough'.

if _all_ of them are a little loose...hmmm...well to be exact you'll need to torgue # from the manufacturer/literature, i guess...or just get them snug so they don't wiggle around. my sun rim spokes don't wiggle at all and only flex a tiny tiny bit when trying to wiggle them

i think it's more important that they all be even than to exact ft/lb spec.

also - don't tap while seated in the chair! not sure if you knew that or not...

What to do,what to do.
    ......... righty tighty, lefty loosey...

<-----smart ass

If you have not a clue on how to do this I would strongly reccomend that you have it professionally done.
    If you don't tru the wheel the right way it will wobble back and forth or hop up and down!
    Here is a cheesy video that gives a great tutorial on how to properly tru a wheel.
    http://www.instructables.com/id/Wheel-Truing-Tutorial/
    -----------
    Eddie