4 10.00%
  • were you teaching kids

1 2.50%
  • did you notice the sunset

2 5.00%
  • did you buy a gun

1 2.50%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: 9/11 what did you do? where were you?

I shut off the shower and heard a CNN report saying something to the effect of "a small plane struck the WTC."

I'm thinkin how maybe some poor private pilot had a heart attack or something, because it was so clear that day and it would be impossible to hit one of the towers on accident. I grew angry as the media started theorizing that terrorists caused this, the typical media hype. When the second airliner hit, it obviously proved true.

The most shocking moment for me was when the first tower actually fell. I had just seen a show a few weeks prior on how the buildings were built to withstand a jet plane crash.

I drove the L.I.E. eastbound, probably with the same stunned look as the other people I saw - driving with their mouths open while our ears were glued to the radio. "THE SECOND TOWER JUST CAME DOWN..." the voice said. To this day, Unfucking believable.

A week later I drove into the city. I had no intentions of trying to get to ground zero. I just had this drive within me to go there and feel. The normally packed parking lots of La Guardia were empty. Traffic in midtown was light. The pace was different, no one was in a rush. No horns blowing with impatience. Every street corner's walls were plastered with hundreds of warm smiling faces with the phone numbers of desperate loved ones below.
    "If ya don't have it in the hips, ya better have it in the lips..." ~ Charlie - Villa Dulce

i was told when my friend and helper came in around 7 a.m to help me get dressed for work. my son was 9 and still sleeping in waterbed with me. i laid my head down and cried, knowing his whole world had changed. i didn't go to work, he didn't go to school. i just held onto him and it was a while before i even turned the t.v. on.

Quote Originally Posted by cass
    my son was 9 and still sleeping in waterbed with me. i laid my head down and cried, knowing his whole world had changed.
    Why did you believe that? Do you still feel that way today for the same reasons?

C.

yes, carol. my son's whole world is now about terrorists and iraq. in school, he is given military stuff, 10th grade, though i specifically forbade it (yes parents are asked as early as 7th about military propanda and approaching your child). my son will not fly any more. my son has hatred for iraq. it makes me sick. and yes, he wants to fight "them." he loves toby keith:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSWuA-RttGU

what can i tell him? we go to the alan jackson concerts, but he doesn't pick up that message. a friend of mine signed an agreement for her 17 yr old to go into marines. broke my heart and hers. but she said she had to respect his wishes. i'm not that brave.

it's like going thru the nam lottery all over again w/brothers only they didn't want to go, this is my son and he's being brainwashed in school and videogames (america's army). i want to cry.
    Last edited by cass; 09-12-2008 at 04:17 AM.

yes, carol. my son's whole world is now about terrorists and iraq. in school, he is given military stuff, 10th grade, though i specifically forbade it (yes parents are asked as early as 7th about military propanda and approaching your child). my son will not fly any more. my son has hatred for iraq. it makes me sick. and yes, he wants to fight "them." he loves toby keith:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSWuA-RttGU

what can i tell him? we go to the alan jackson concerts, but he doesn't pick up that message. a friend of mine signed an agreement for her 17 yr old to go into marines. broke my heart and hers. but she said she had to respect his wishes. i'm not that brave.

it's like going thru the nam lottery all over again w/brothers only they didn't want to go, this is my son and he's being brainwashed in school and videogames (america's army). i want to cry.
    That's a very touching answer and I'm ashamed to say it never crossed my mind that 9/11 impacted America's youth in this way.

Growing up in England in the 1970's and 80's meant that terrorism was a fact of life when the IRA were at their most active, being searched before going into sports grounds, concerts, night clubs etc., being evacuated from buildings because of bomb alerts all of this didn't lessen the horror but it did take the edge off the shock when atrocities occurred.

I'm ashamed to say but I totally forgot about 9-11 until I started listening to Howard Stern yesterday morning was I reminded it was the 7th anniversary. Unfortunately I think alot of people will forgot, in my area there wasn't much tv coverage about it, I watched MSNBC last nite and remembered just what a terrible day that was.

my son's whole world is now about terrorists and iraq. in school, he is given military stuff, 10th grade, though i specifically forbade it (yes parents are asked as early as 7th about military propanda and approaching your child). my son will not fly any more. my son has hatred for iraq. it makes me sick.
    I'm so sorry that you and your family are dealing with this pain. I assume that the military stuff you're talking about concerns recruitment? I have a number of friends with children who are now or have been through high school who have experienced aggressive recruitment from the various branches. None of them like it. Not even the ones who tend to look positively on the idea of their children serving in the military.

what can i tell him?
    My first thought is that all you can tell him is whatever matters to you. You just have to keep repeating yourself. I know I'm stating the obvious when I say that parenting is the most difficult job anyone can take on. It can be so rewarding, but also so frustrating and even disappointing at times. The opportunity to raise another human being to value the things that you do and to reach their full potential is an amazing thing, but what with children being independent human beings and all, there are no guarantees.

Again, I'm sorry to hear all this. The video games make me angry, too. Have you noticed the TV ads that actually present images reminiscent of video games, but that are promoting military service? The message is that it's all a game. It's incredibly offensive to me. I also find it rather astonishing that our soldiers don't have all the protective armor they need, but the Army, Navy and Marines have millions of marketing dollars to spend sponsoring race teams. In fact, I find it downright offensive.

C.

yes, carol. that's what i'm dealing with. know nothing about tv ads as literally don't watch tv. but i am angry at what they're doing to my son at school. oh yes, recruitment ppl have been at my son's school since 7th (3 yrs ago) i support our military 100%, but i think this nonsense in the schools is brainwashing. i am really sad my son now thinks of the world as full of terrorists and planes crashing into buildings.

and the online game, america's army, is a recruitment tool. they admit it. they started approaching him there 2 yrs ago.

timaru, good point. in the u.s., we were so isolated from this stuff (recently) until 9/11 and columbine. we have been lucky and we tend to not notice IRA and all that. i mean, we read it, sympathize, but until 9/11, i don't think it really registered. in some ways, i guess 9/11 was good. wake up call

btw, i can spell propaganda i was tired, had been out to dinner with neighbors, "celebrating" my recently deceased neighbor's life with her spouse. lynn would have loved it.
    Last edited by cass; 09-13-2008 at 02:13 AM.

We went through the relentless recruitment crap as well. I had filled out the opt-out form at the high school that said her information was not to be released to recruiters. They did it anyway. I finally sent a certified letter to the school with another opt out form attached. I told them that if they didnt follow the law and if I got one more call, they would next be talking to my attorney. They took me serious this time and her last two years of high school she was not bothered. You can opt out of this. http://www.leavemychildalone.org/
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

hey todd, hurricane all gone? what's with your bogart type avatar pic? how are things going?