Thread: Radiofrequency Lesioning For Pain Relief?

Radiofrequency Lesioning For Pain Relief?

Just wondering who's had this, or know of anyone who's had this before. I had my monthly checkup with my Pain doc. today, and the last two months have involved a facet injection in each month. He told me, before he did either injection, that he was going to do this to find which ganglion nerve root was the one responsible for my pain. The first injection only yielded about 6 hours of pain, and then the pain came back with a vengeance. Last month, he gave me the injection in another spot, and this relief lasted for about 2-3 days. After telling him about the length of relief from that injection today, he asked me if I'd like to keep trying some different locations with the same injections, but I mentioned his saying the nerve block the month before, so he asked me if I'd like to do that. I obviously said yes, and he told me that we'd be doing a radiofrequency lesioning sometime this month. He explained, briefly, how it works and asked me again if I was interested. He then told me that it could last anywhere from 2 months to 2 years, so I once again agreed.

So, I was wondering if anyone has or know anyone that has had this procedure done before, and if so, what were the results and how long did they last? I'm very excited to be able to have this done, because I really think this one will work if he does it on the same nerve he did this past month with the facet injection.

Last question. Last month, he mentioned that if the recent facet injection provided me with sufficient relief he would do a nerve block INJECTION, and mentioned nothing of radiofrequency lesioning. He said that the injection could last up to 9 months, and he seemed like he was dead set on doing it, so why would he change his mind from the nerve block injection to the radiofrequency lesioning?

Thanks!

radio frequency nerve ablation

I had rf nerve ablation done (not sure what lesioning is) It made everything worse. It was extremely painful. I would have another nerve block before I would go through that again! Best of luck!