Thread: Bony Fragments left in spinal cord

Bony Fragments left in spinal cord

I remember being told after my back was broken and I had rods placed in my back that there were bony fragments left in my spine. I am paralyzed T-8 down. Does anyone have any info. on having these fragments removed or why they were left after the surgery. I am beginning to finally have a tingling feeling in my toes. My mom has been using an electric muscle stimulator on my legs and my muscles do respond and tighten up to the electric stimulation.
    I am considered to be a complete injury but alot of different things have happened which make us wonder if I am really a complete injury.

Quote Originally Posted by blondeyvonne99
    I remember being told after my back was broken and I had rods placed in my back that there were bony fragments left in my spine. I am paralyzed T-8 down. Does anyone have any info. on having these fragments removed or why they were left after the surgery. I am beginning to finally have a tingling feeling in my toes. My mom has been using an electric muscle stimulator on my legs and my muscles do respond and tighten up to the electric stimulation.
    I am considered to be a complete injury but alot of different things have happened which make us wonder if I am really a complete injury.
    You should get a CT/MRI scan to find out what whether you have any bone or disc fragments in your spinal canal. If you do and it (they) is (are) compressing your spinal cord, I would recommend removing them. I recommend getting an opinion from Hank Bohlman at Case Western Reserve University
    http://www.uhhospitals.org/tabid/4638/Default.aspx

Wise.

I was told the same thing after having the harrington bars put in. They said that they tried to remove all the bone fragments but that spinal fluid was leaking and that it was risky to try to remove all the fragments, at least at that time. This was in sept. 2003.
    T6 complete (or so I think), SCI since September 21, 2003