Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What has notably reduced y o u r nerve pain?

Quote Originally Posted by David Berg
    I've talked to law enforcement officers who simply can't believe that anyone would use MJ for any reason except to get high. They can't believe that anyone would use it medically and not want to get stoned.
    Then they need a mandatory stop in a pediatric oncology ward with a lot of lumbar punctures that day. Between cancer pain and the taps they better be crying and changing their minds. Marinol, pharmocological weed, gets you so stoned you can't function and doctors hate prescribing to other than bone cancer or terminal patients.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

I have tried a homeopathic called CELICORE it claims that it is a Stem Cell Activator and that it activates your own stem cells. It has taken the edge off of the nerve pain. I have been taking 3200mg of Neuroton per day, 15mg Methadone per day for about the last year and it helped some, but when I took the CELICORE I really noticed a difference. It cost about $45.00 per month. Here is a website for the product the one that I use is the 1-CNT as crazy as it sounds for me it really helps and it is not just in my mind. http://www.celicore.com/Home.htm

I am also going to try a natural pain killer that you can get at any health food store called DLPA here is a link that tells a lot about it and those who have had good results from it http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=99405

Stevie P
    Last edited by StevieP; 09-19-2008 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fragile
    I recently made a tincture as described using Everclear. 3 Drops in a glass of cold gatoraid and I was "plastered" for over an hour. Assuming it was the Everclear, what's the easiest way to safely dissipate the alcohol? Can't stand coffee, plan on putting a few drops in some kind of hot tea (I assume the heat will evaporate off some of the alcohol?). But, don't want to destroy any of the cannaboids.

i always used low heat to dissipate 99% isopropyl (sp?). it's very flamable so it's hard to recommend this to anyone without basic chemistry safety equipment/training.

works well tho. you can google making hash oil, as the above 'tincture' is essentially the same process used on bud instead of hash.

heating makes it very quickly and is more pure. you can continue with filtering through coffee filters or tea cloths to make 'honey oil', but you lose a lot of your bud...~2oz of bud = .5oz of tincture/oil but it is VERY clean and VERY good! IMO there is more than 2oz of buzz in .5oz of oil.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Quote Originally Posted by carbar
    GW Pharmaceuticals in the UK have a drug in development which is derived from cannabinoids that will give the effects that you are all confirming that cannabis has on pain and spasticity. It is called Sativex and is an inhaler - I believe it is currently in clinical trials in the UK and Canada for MS sufferers to determine its efficacity against spasticity and pain. I think it is in Phase III and has shown great results in all Phases so far. Hopefully it won't be long before it is available worldwide. A solution that is both legal and beneficial and can be taken as and when needed.
    It is available in Canada but it REALLY expensive! I had my doctor give me a prescription to try it and when I took it to the pharmacist and she told me it was $625 for about a months worth but I don't remember the quantity. Either way I can't afford that steep price. I'm sticking to with the green stuff.

Try magnetic therapy. No pain, no drugs, no dope, and no booze. BTW, liquor kills new stem cells. Would you give any of the above to an infant?

For information, go to www.amri-intl.com for the high powered MME magnet.

Go to www.magneticosleep.com for magnetic mattress pads.

My son has used both extensively and sleeps on a 20 gauss magnetic mattress pad.

If you think magnetic therapy is foolish, then explain this. He is a C-6 quad and ran his big toe under a door and caused his toe to swell, bleed, and his big nail raised up in front and became black. We put a bandaid on it for several days and he nearly jumped out of his chair when I tried to remove the bandaid. He certainly can feel his toes. He did not need any pain meds, drugs, or booze. In fact, he didn't even get autonomic dysreflexia.

The old nail was pulled off in about 8 weeks with a new nail underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by Fubar
    It is available in Canada but it REALLY expensive! I had my doctor give me a prescription to try it and when I took it to the pharmacist and she told me it was $625 for about a months worth but I don't remember the quantity. Either way I can't afford that steep price. I'm sticking to with the green stuff.

That's a crazy price! Maybe, once it is through all the trial stages and goes into full production for worldwide consumption, the price will come right down.

Quote Originally Posted by carbar
    That's a crazy price! Maybe, once it is through all the trial stages and goes into full production for worldwide consumption, the price will come right down.
    I'm pretty sure its past trial phase. I was at the compassion center and was talking to the guys there and they told me the reason Sativex is so high is there is only 2 companies that they know of that make cannabis medical products. The company that makes Sativex has a patent for their extraction method. I was told they use a Carbon Dioxide-type of extraction. I haven't googled this but I hope more companies are allowed to make these types of products so we can afford the necessary medicinal products to live with less pain.

Quote Originally Posted by Regine
    My nerve pain has gotten so bad lately that I don't know what to do any more. I thought if I get your input what has really helped you I could get some ideas where to turn next. Most things you all write about are a "maybe" or "taking the edge of". I mean, please write about things that brought a breakthrough for you, getting you your life back instead of being tortured by pain all the time. It could be anything from medication to meditation, from surgery to energy work. I am curious...
    I understand your frustration.....some days I feel like I'm going to lose my mind (what's left of it) because the pain just won't let up. The best I can do is tell you what I use to have less horrible days.

I think it's good to hit it from a variety of angles. I have nerve pain, muscle pain and spasms, and arthritic pain from severe, multi-level degenerative disc disease. For arthritic-like pain, I use Ultram as needed. For nerve pain, I use Neurontin (Gabapentin) 600mgs twice/day. I'm "supposed" to take 1800 mgs/day, but Neurontin makes me stupid and I take just enough to "take the edge off" for the sake of preserving a little bit of meaningful brain function For muscle pain and spasms, I take either Flexeril or Zanaflex at bedtime so that I can get a decent night's sleep.

Swimming sometimes helps--especially with the arthritic pain--and I also have a TENS unit which I can't say enough good things about. I'm actually hooked up right now. Today has been a particularly bad pain day.

Also, I don't want to hijack the thread, but for those of you who use medicinal marajuana, do you know if there are legal ways to get this in the USA? If so, who would I need to talk to--I live on the East Coast, so the clinics in CA would not be an option for me? I'm willing to try almost anything at this point. I've lived with this for 15 months now (I know that's nothing compared to many of you) but I'm already weary of dealing with the pain. Thanks. (Feel free to PM me, so that we don't hijack the thread).

Thanks Danine, for your kind words. I don't think you are hijacking the thread, because marijuana seems to help so many. I know that it's impossible to get Sativex in Germany. A friend of mine might make the tincture (unfortunately I don't smoke) for me. I am experimenting with energy healing (Barbara Ann Brennan method), because it was mentioned in the book "Alternative Medicine and Spinal Cord Injury" as possibly helpful for sci-connected pain. It's too early to say something, but I have a good feeling about it.

I hope it helps, Regine. Keep us updated.