Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Options for Drop Foot?

Options for Drop Foot?

What can be done for drop foot? I mean what are the options and is there a cure? I was told that tendon transfer or estim are the best options. Does anyone know what else can be done?
    C-5, 6 SCI. Took about 6 months to walk. Walking full time. Without any assistance since Nov. 2003 and will make a full recovery

I used a brace for awhile, then because it was a PITA I learned to walk w/o brace and none of my buddies knew i had it. But I had to used 2 feet to drive.

Stretching it - I sit on the front part of my chair with my feet positioned far back on my footrest, and then I lean over on my knees to easily stretch them out. Also, I usually wear lace up work boots that have a pretty good stiff heel/ankle/sole on them or some good tennis shoes when it's really hot out. Here's what I wear: http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/produ...2821692a.shtml They are hard to get on at first, but then it becomes easier with time - just don't lace them up to tight or you'll start a pressure sore
    </IMG>

no im actually looking for a cure or surgery to get rid of my brace
    C-5, 6 SCI. Took about 6 months to walk. Walking full time. Without any assistance since Nov. 2003 and will make a full recovery

Hi,

Physical therapy, standing frame,etc is the initial standard treatment.
    Tendon transfer can be done if the previous are not successful but not everyone gets sustainable results even after surgery.
    I am not aware of any total cure.

AAD

I had a physician offer to do tendon transfers on both feet so I could get rid of the braces. The thing is once they do that your feet are always in that position. It is not reversible either so I told him &quot;no thanks&quot;. I had twisted my ankle and my doctor sent me to him. He was an orthopaedic specializing in feet. I also questioned whether it would provide the stability that he claimed it would. He said it was basically like fusing the ankle together like they did my broken spine. I wear AFO's for foot drop.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by mj23
    What can be done for drop foot? I mean what are the options and is there a cure? I was told that tendon transfer or estim are the best options. Does anyone know what else can be done?
    Please check out www.bioness.com and see if it is useful for your question!!
    Suzanne

New type of brace for foot drop

I recently got a SAFO SAFO (Silicone Ankle Foot Orthosis) from Dorset Orthopaedics in the UK. The brace is made of silicone and looks and feels very nice:

[2.jpg[/IMG]

It has been great to do things such as walking without shoes (for example inside a plane), going into the pool and doing some basic yoga.. I like how it feels very much. It took a few days to get used to it though, it does not provide as much support as a traditional AFO... In spite of it, I really recommend it!

PS: actually, from a cosmetic point of view, it also wins over the AFO..

http://www.dorset-ortho.com/product-faqs-safo.php

I had my Achilles tendon lengthened -- i.e. the ortho doc split it lengthwise using a z cut, then connected the two ends in the middle to make it twice as long but half as thick. This was done back in 1984 when I was a walkie, and cured my drop foot (no more AFO!) with no loss of strength or range of motion in that ankle.

--THC
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Quote Originally Posted by amarillogal View Post
    Stretching it - I sit on the front part of my chair with my feet positioned far back on my footrest, and then I lean over on my knees to easily stretch them out. Also, I usually wear lace up work boots that have a pretty good stiff heel/ankle/sole on them or some good tennis shoes when it's really hot out. Here's what I wear: http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/produ...2821692a.shtml They are hard to get on at first, but then it becomes easier with time - just don't lace them up to tight or you'll start a pressure sore
    </IMG>

do boots really help, or high top tennis shoes? i don't walk at all but this drop foot really makes my neuro pain and spasms kick up something awful.