Thread: Need Ultra Light Wheelchair 20+ Inch Width?

2 blocks away from the Real Housewives of Orange County

Arrow Need Ultra Light Wheelchair 20+ Inch Width?

Hi all. I have an appt. next week for a seating eval. I had asked before about which wheelchair was best recommended (ultralight), and almost everyone said the Razzorblade from Colours. Well, I just went to their web site and looked at the order form and the max width is 18 inches. I think my current chair is 20 or 21 (Quickie Titanium). I have to dig up the old order form to be sure, but I know it is at least 20 because I'm 5'5'' and weigh ??? 180 or 200 (I wear a plus sized women's 16 if that means anything to anyone).

So now I'm disapointed. :-( Which chair is best? By the time I (hopefully) get a new chair, my current one will be 4 years old. There's really nothing wrong with it, except that it wasn't configured the way I wanted it from the beginning. I didn't know that I could refuse delivery, and took it home. After that I had several problems with the chair sliding over on the axle and after 3 years finally got help with that (from posters here on this board THANK YOU!).

Now I'm thinking of waiting, but really shouldn't because my company is going to be laying off a lot of people in the 1st quarter of 2009 and my department is expected to be eliminated all together.

I'm looking for an ultra light chair that will be easy to get in and out of my car (Saturn L searies 4-door). I want to be able to go in there next week and tell them exactly what I want and get this over as soon as possible as the end of the year is approaching quickly and would need insurance approval ASAP (I'm aniticipating denial at first).

Thanks all!

I would call colours and see if they will make a 20" wide chair for you? Are you close to their location in Corona? You might even stop in. I have seen colours chairs that are MUCH wider than 20". They do custom work. I would check it out.

Spend some time on the Quickie and Invacare websites too because they both make chairs that are available in 20" size.

If you can get to Colours you'll be in good hands. They can measure you up and have a bunch of chairs in the showroom to try out. If you find something you like, they'll fill out an order form and you give it to your supplier.

My current chair is 18". Does anyone know if the Colours axel is expandable? For instance, on my Quickie, I can unscrew a nut inside the axel tube that will widen the wheel base. If not, I will ask them if they can custom-make the Razzorblade to 20".

TiLite Zr and zra (similar to razorblade), Aero Z, TR, all come in 20" width, other Colours besides razorblade come in 20" width.

Make sure you only go as wide as you need to to fit in your chair. If your current chair is 18" and you are too squished in you might need to go wider, but if you over do it then the chair will have trouble with some doorways because the wheels add an extra 3-4" per side (which can be minimized a bit by choosing 1" wheel spacing, no camber, and Spinergy type wheels). Measure the doorways that you need to get through regularly (home, work, friends, dentist, doctor, stairlift etc.) and make sure that you confirm the overall width of the chair wil still be narrow enough to fit before you order it. Confirm this with the maker of the chair (Colours, TiLite etc.) rather than the dealer, who might just be guessing if he tells you it will be a certain width.

Thanks! Paton, I love your comment. :-)

Hey, anyone have any input on the new locking system that Colours makes?

Since there is not any information on the Colours website describing these new locks there is a good chance that these are just D's Locks (which have been in a Colour's online newsletter before.

http://www.dslocks.net/

http://www.colourswheelchair.com/news/low_sept2002.pdf (page 11)

I have a Titanium Invacare A4 in the 20" variety. Its my first chair and is definitely too big for me, but one nice thing about even a 20" A4 is that it will pass through a 28" door frame if you have the zero camber axles inserted. I was in a quickie 20"er and it will NOT go through a 28" door. The quickie hub system is different and about 1-2"s wider than the invacare.

I've had problems with my A4, but overall its been pretty good to me. I couldn't expect more from it, after all it does have to carry my 230lb butt everywhere!

Dave
    Dave