Thread: "Organic" Kitchen Smells -

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Lightbulb "Organic" Kitchen Smells -

...Ain't they great?
    "The world will not perish for want of wonders but for want of wonder."
    J.B.S.Haldane

hmmm. this conjures up memories of some ripe compost buckets.... sad I know when kitchen smells means something bad!
    I've been slacking off cooking this summer, but I can't wait to get into some soups and stews this fall. Slow cooker, baking bread, pies... those are good smells!

Quote Originally Posted by brainandspinalcord
    hmmm. this conjures up memories of some ripe compost buckets.... sad I know when kitchen smells means something bad!
    I've been slacking off cooking this summer, but I can't wait to get into some soups and stews this fall. Slow cooker, baking bread, pies... those are good smells!
    I have to admit that coming to the thread cold that's what conjures. If you look at the other 'Kitchen' topic I posted you'll have some insight why I used this one here. That having been said, I posted about "kitchen smells" because when they're there and not an announcement of putrefaction, they can be intriguing and engaging. No, I don't get around much any more so have only my own kitchen to go by but it does serve as a case in point.

Recently my accumulated stays at the local hospital's ER for bowel blockages and partial bbs helped me decide in favor of a more fiber intensive diet. My orientation is such that this has come to mean a huge increase in fruits and vegetables, mainly veggies. I've also come under the spell of fine miso soups and stews and will generally have a pot of one cooling in the fridge. One of the results of this change has been that my perception of the kitchen smell has changed greatly for the better. It is true that I find the smell of miso soup base/paste intriguing - where an Amazon reviewer describes it as that of "dirty gym socks", but then this same guy goes from praising the miso he's reviewing highly to remarking how he's still got most of a 12 oz. pouch left after a year! Since I've gone through most of two pouches in the past three weeks I've got to doubt where this individual is coming from.

Another consideration is that possibly my sense of smell has changed or intensified - but I think even if that is so, I'm probably smelling some sort of real change for the better in my kitchen. Anyway, this ramble at least somewhat should put into perspective where I was coming from when I posted the topic.
    J.B.S.Haldane

Do a few dishes and take out the garbage... that'll fix ya right up.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Geta life, Bob; that'll fix us both up.

There is something weirdly paranoid about ppl who never post to food threads except to snipe. They're vaguely aware that their diets are poor or excessive or at least need to be improved but instead of making the dread examination of what needs done there they come into threads like this where they've focused the source of their malaise. "If only I could silence or debase these 'healthy eating' and 'diet change' voices I'd be alright with the diet I'm used to and scared shxtless to change." goes the thinking. But the whole exercise is pointless and sad.

I could wish for these people more openmindedness and the willingness to at least experiment with changing what they eat to see both how they felt about if after a few short weeks and how their physical selves and mental processes felt about the changed nutrition.
    Last edited by Juke_spin; 09-09-2008 at 10:33 AM.
    J.B.S.Haldane