Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: air or solid tires , no comparison solid for sure

ill never use air again. shox r my faves 110 mach psi. worry free. they roll great
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

John, I know you roll a lot.... how long does a set last and are they hard to change?

I go through a set of Primos evry 1-2 months.

Dave
    Dave

From my experience...they are not hard to change if you have a pair of channel locks (to help get them off) and the Kik tool to get them on. You clamp the channel locks on the worn tire and pull the tire towards you...then you just roll the rest of the tire off the rim. The kik tool helps stretch the tire over the rim.

My kiks lasted a couple years. Just put on Shox...and like them much more than the kiks for certain.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

hey 'coach - would you mind describing the use of the Kik tool? i have one but no instructions and it doesn't seem to work very well at all. must be something i'm doing.

i resorted to soaking in super hot tub water for 5 minutes then putting right on - goes on with little effort then shrinks back down to normal in 10-15 minutes as it cools.

He who hears not me but the Logos will say: All is one.

Quote Originally Posted by Herco16
    John, I know you roll a lot.... how long does a set last and are they hard to change?

I go through a set of Primos evry 1-2 months.

Dave
    8mths to 1yr dave. try them. cheap too.
    Bike-on.com rep
    John@bike-on.com
    c4/5 inc funtioning c6. 28 yrs post.
    sponsored handcycle racer

Quote Originally Posted by Daleb
    hey 'coach - would you mind describing the use of the Kik tool? i have one but no instructions and it doesn't seem to work very well at all. must be something i'm doing.

i resorted to soaking in super hot tub water for 5 minutes then putting right on - goes on with little effort then shrinks back down to normal in 10-15 minutes as it cools.
    Sure...let's see if I can...

First thing to do is seat a part of the tire on the rim. You want to push down on it untill you hear it click in. You would then take that velcro piece and wrap it around the tire and the rim as tight as you can (this will make sure you have an anchor point).

Then, you put the notched end of the tool on the axle, and the red part of the tool underneath the tire. It looks like the red part is actually resting on the rim a little bit.

You then move the tool so that the tire starts to sit right on the rim. You may need to squeeze the tire down into the rim (like you did in the first step).

When you get to that lovely stretch point (and you will know when that is because it is hard to move the tool) do not worry about squeezing the tire down. Move the tool completely until the tire snaps off. It will land right on the rim and basically seat itself.

Let me know if this makese any sense or if you need more info.
    "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot nothing's going to get better. It's not." - Dr. Seuss

Shox are definitely great solid tires. I used them for a long time but then switched to pneumatic grey with airless insert. I found that they get up hills and other obsticles better. However, they are much heavier than shox solid tires. I would definitely go back to solid shox when these tires wear out.