Thread: bowel problems....

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Unhappy bowel problems....

I have been having problems with constipation for awhile now. I would only have a BM once a week. I brought this up to my doctor and he said it was do to the pain meds. Now I have diahera but still only once a week. I eat fine and I eat fiber. I've taken stool softners when I was constipated. My eating habits haven't changed so why am I getting diahrea? And why am I only having 1 BM a week? Is this normal for SCI? I can't take medicene for the diahrea because I don't know when I'll have it. If I'm constipated and I take stool softners they give me the diahrea. I'm not quite sure what to do? Help Please...
    It is not how we fall that defines us..
    It is how we rise.

Not sure what to tell you. I'm a male T-4 para 22 year post injury. I take stool softner twice a day (morning and night) and use a magic bullet suppository in the eveing. I have a BM within a half hour. I noticed you mentioned pain med. I do not take any of those, so as your Doc said they may be the problem. Sorry I can't help anymore.
    "If everything is under control, you are going too slow." - Mario Andretti

Shana:
    It would be very helpful to know more specifics on your bowel program. What do you do for it? How often you do it? What your level of injury is? Your diet? How much fluids do you drink? Medications that you take? How active are you? It's kind of hard to make any recomendations without knowing as much as we can.

Thanks
    CKF

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse
    Shana:
    It would be very helpful to know more specifics on your bowel program. What do you do for it? How often you do it? What your level of injury is? Your diet? How much fluids do you drink? Medications that you take? How active are you? It's kind of hard to make any recomendations without knowing as much as we can.

Thanks
    CKF

I've never had a bowel program. I use to go a couple times a week on my own. I'm on baclofen 10mg oxybutynin 5mg tizanidine 2mg all 3 to 4 times a day. I could probably drink more. To be honest I drink maybe 48oz a day some times more. I haven't been that active in the last month but I just started therapy again. I do roam around my house and clean and take care of my two kids. I'm not sure by what you mean as active. I'm in my chair everyday and I do stuff at home but therapy has been lacking. I eat healthy. I try to eat foods with fiber. I eat alot of vegetables and fruit also I eat a healthy supper. I use to take stool softners every other day but it would give me diahrea and I can't tell when to get on the potty if it's diahrea. So I started taking them every two days. Now I just have diahrea and I can't take anything for it because I'm afraid I wont have a BM then. I have therapy twice a week and dr appt. in between. Not to mention shopping and things for my kids. It's hard to get a routine going I never know when I'll be home. I tried to do it at night but I couldn't seem to get the routine to work. I just want to make sure there is no big concern for now. Atleast untill I can get a doctor to help me get a bowel program going. Any help would be great...THANK YOU..
    It is not how we fall that defines us..
    It is how we rise.