Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Miracle Worker

The Miracle Worker

http://www.spinalcure.org.au/a/123.html

Take a look at this link. Interesting reading if you want to understand what sort of people the top researchers are.

I must admit I have had a catharsis. I have let go of the idea of my ever being cured although I am in no way dismissing the cure as a possibility and am still very interested in the research, more objectively interested. It took 24 years to reach this view point and the cure sure was a useful way of getting through life while I really thought it could still happen to me. Then it started to seem as if too much time had passed and the research was moving too slowly. Doubt and depression took over. Now I have shed the idea I am strangely happy and optimistic about the future.

Don't get me wrong - I am not a satisfied cripple, proudly disabled. I just completely ignore the fact that I'm any different from other people and am extremely irritated when people point out the fact that I am different.........lol! (You know, they come up and talk to you like a 2 year old and say in a mincing voice "do you need any help?") I'm sure they mean well but it is just a reminder that you stick out like a sore thumb just when you'd forgotten you were any different. lol again. And why is it always frail looking people who ask if you need help and the big weightlifter types seem to look the other way? I sometimes feel like saying "ok, just lift me out of the car." I'm rambling - how did I change the subject like that?...............

I think you rock!!! :-)
    1FineSpineRN

kickingber
    That was a excellent read. Thank you for posting it. Could any one tell me when this interview was conducted/ How old is this artical? Is there anywhere that I could keep up with what Prof.Raisman is currently doing? Thanks again!

What an extraordinary article. it makes me optimistic about the future! thank you for posting.

Quote Originally Posted by kickingber
    That was a excellent read. Thank you for posting it. Could any one tell me when this interview was conducted/ How old is this artical? Is there anywhere that I could keep up with what Prof.Raisman is currently doing? Thanks again!
    Beginning of the article says "The Sunday Times Magazine 9/4/2006".I did a quick google search on his name but couldn't find anything recent.
    I'd also be interested to learn more.

kickingber
    I must have missed the date, sorry for that. thanks for the info.

Here's a link to an earlier posting & discussion on Raisman and this article...
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=61447

And here's a link to Raisman's department at University College of London
    http://www.ion.ucl.ac.uk/research/hb...epair_unit.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Paddon
    http://www.spinalcure.org.au/a/123.html

Take a look at this link. Interesting reading if you want to understand what sort of people the top researchers are.

I must admit I have had a catharsis. I have let go of the idea of my ever being cured although I am in no way dismissing the cure as a possibility and am still very interested in the research, more objectively interested. It took 24 years to reach this view point and the cure sure was a useful way of getting through life while I really thought it could still happen to me. Then it started to seem as if too much time had passed and the research was moving too slowly. Doubt and depression took over. Now I have shed the idea I am strangely happy and optimistic about the future.

Don't get me wrong - I am not a satisfied cripple, proudly disabled. I just completely ignore the fact that I'm any different from other people and am extremely irritated when people point out the fact that I am different.........lol! (You know, they come up and talk to you like a 2 year old and say in a mincing voice "do you need any help?") I'm sure they mean well but it is just a reminder that you stick out like a sore thumb just when you'd forgotten you were any different. lol again. And why is it always frail looking people who ask if you need help and the big weightlifter types seem to look the other way? I sometimes feel like saying "ok, just lift me out of the car." I'm rambling - how did I change the subject like that?...............
    Hello, Christopher. I am so glad to see you posting again. Wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    Hello, Christopher. I am so glad to see you posting again. Wise.
    Thanks Wise!

You know one thing that blows my mind is the following bit of information from the article "There are more combinations of signals in the massed neuronal undergrowth than there are particles in the known universe."

Something that should be considered whenever there are claims that humans can make an artifical human brain - yeah, right!

http://www.newton.dep.anl.gov/askasc.../chem00963.htm

This states that there are 7.2 x 10 to the power of 19 atoms in a grain of sand. 72,000,000,000,000,000,000 I think is the rather large number.

Of course each atom is made up of many particles, more than originally thought, certainly more than just the number of neutrons, electrons and protons as these are made up of many particles.

So, how many grains of sand on an average beach? How many beaches in the world? How many particles in all the other objects on earth besides the beaches?

We must be getting to quite a big number by now.

How many planets round the sun, and moons and other debris?

How many stars in our galaxy? How many particles hidden in dark matter and black holes, in which matter is considerably compressed?

Beginning to freak out yet?

http://imagine.gsfc.nasa.gov/docs/as...s/021127a.html

Apparantly there maybe 125 billion galaxies in the universe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observable_universe

Anyway, "There are more combinations of signals in the massed neuronal undergrowth than there are particles in the known universe."

Wise Young please sort out my broken connections for me - it can't be too difficult.....................................

Of course I am being whimsical. I know the goal is to find a way for the central nervous system to reorganize itself.

Still, it makes you think, whatever that means.

Beginning to freak out yet?
    yup - a whole lotta zero's starting to pile up in my brain, in more than one way :-)