Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wages paid to caregivers?

Wages paid to caregivers?

I have 3 full time staff and 2 part-time...My rate is from 12.00/hr to 15.00/hr. Pls let me know what others r being paid. Keep in mind I am in Canada so the dollar is different. Thx so much....Val

my bf has a full time caretaker--paid $18, 000 a year, food and housing included.

Misa1 - what agency in Chicago do you go through to get that salary and food and housing? That sounds great.

I pay privately about $14/hr. for my PCA's which are CNA's and students. If I had a live in I would pay a weekly or monthly salary + room and board.

We hired our current PCA at $10.00/hr. Over the years we have increased that to $14.00/hr. She is a jewel. She has another job which provides her benefits including insurance, so that works well for her.

(KLD)

no agency--his parents found him, he wanted to work towards coming to this country with his family, but he has not saved up any money and does not have many job skills. English not too great either.
    not a bad salary and perks for someone that works three hours a day, no??
    I cant stand the live in caretaker deal

So my question is...how do you get funding to get some one to come in so much? Are you paying this out of pocket? Our pockets aren't that deep! What suggestions do you have?

You need to be a really strong advocate with the insurance companies and Medicaid. Also check out the State Vocational Rehab Dept. They're under the 'Dept. of Labor', and are very vested in getting people back to work; will fund things like school, modifications for vans, adaptive equipment. If your sister is a teacher, perhaps they have PCA help available to assist her at work.

We have a Special Needs Trust set up for my son, and his aide is paid from the trust; even tho Medicaid would pay for an aide, the ones they sent, I wouldn't leave my dog with! So we do private pay and have hired someone we can trust and has the responsibililty to do her job well.

[This message was edited by Marmalady on 06-10-03 at 08:32 PM.]

See here's our difference...my sister was not in an accident. She is paralyzed from a tumor that hemmorhaged. She isn't going to get a trust. We have checked into Voc Rehab, but they aren't going to help her until she is ready to go back to work. Independent living center has put her on a waiting list for funding, I am going to have her call Medicaid today. It is hard because I know that there are things that she could do, like call and call and call until she gets an answer, but she won't. I don't feel like it is my or my moms responsibility to do it for her (she is 23 years old). GRRRR!

Thanks for your ideas, I will be sure to mention to her about the PCA to help her with work.

Butterfly, your sister is still very new to all this, and she's still very much in the 'adjustment' period (as if anyone can reallly adjust). I would imagine that right this moment, she's still trying to deal with her new body status, grieving for what she's lost, and trying to cope with figuring out just how that new body status is working. It takes such a long time for the reality to really set in, and to start planning for the future. That she's already said she wants to return to teaching is marvelous!

I would make sure she has all the information she needs, and also make sure she's not just becoming a 'passive partner', and then give her the space and time to make her inquiries.

You're a great sister for standing by her and giving her the emotional support she needs!