Thread: Need input about getting a pca

Need input about getting a pca

Let's see. I have been cared for by my mother since my accident at age 3 which left me a c-3. I'm now 26 & we are sick of each other heh. Our views are so incredibly different on just about everything. Compared to your average c-3 I'm easy to care for. I receive an income from my accident thus killing the medicaid thing. Insurance won't cover ANYTHING because I'm chronic. They won't even cover pt nada. Even if I didn't receive any income, medicaid would only cover 8hours a day. I'm respirator dependant so that's no good. What would you recommend for me to receive 24/7 care or at least get bunches of relief. Only reason I'm 24/7 is my vent. Anybody?? I can't afford $30 an hour from an agency nor do I need an RN however, they won't allow anyone to suction unless their an RN. I find that rediculous as my 7yo niece & 15yo nephue can suction. Even if I sign papers they won't do it. Let me know. Thanks!!

"Failure is impossible"

Hi, Defiler,

I'm assuming you live in the same house as your mom? Would that continue if you got an aide, or do you have plans to move out on your own? I'm wondering if you could get a 'roomie' who could also be trained to help you out, in exchange for room and board. If you're in a college area, look for nursing students, or PT/OT students also. Maybe you'd need shifts of 3 or 4, and the downside is that they do graduate and move on, but they do come relatively cheap!

Lots of luck to you; you're in a tough situation.

Have you ever investigated getting the 'income' from your accident put into a special needs trust? That way, it would be protected from the jaws of medicaid and SS. If you're interested, feel free to email me;
    marmalady@worldnet.att.net

If you hire on your own (not from an agency) you can train a PCA to do anything for you, including suctioning. Insurance companies rarely will allow private hire though...they nearly always require agency.

You might want to consider a live-in situation, where you pay by the month instead of by the hour. You still need to give them at least one day off a week, so you would need to have at least two PCAs (one to cover for the other's day off). I don't know where you live, but in my area the going rate for private pay is about $10-$12 an hour. If you get live in and provide free room and board (in a two bedroom apt. for example) then the pay averages about $1200-1500/month in my area (CA).

Here are some resources for more information about hiring and using PCAs:

http://www.wa-ilsc.org/toc2ack.html

http://www.independentliving.org/assex/index.html

http://www.banis-associates.com/books/attend.htm

The PVA also has a good book on attendant management for sale. You can download their catalog here:

http://www.pva.org/NEWPVASITE/publications/pubscat.htm

(KLD)

Thank you for the replies=). Marmalady. Yes we live in the same house. I'd prefer it not to continue that way more preferably would be to move out of state. While that's not necessary it'd be nice=]. I'm far from a college area. I live in the boonies so, getting any for of help is tough. SCI-Nurse. My insurance won't cover ANY nursing at all=[. I have tried a couple times finding a live-in to no avail. That was roughly the rate I was paying though some cooks wanted $2500up hehe. They never got a call back. Thanks for the links. Very helpful! I'll try to get this rolling.

"Failure is impossible"