Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45

Thread: websites about travel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Member roshni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Old Bridge, New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    2,496

    websites about travel


  2. #2
    Senior Member Dave H's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    146
    There is another travel agency that arranges trips for the Disabled it is called Able to Travel.

    They will help with:

    • Accessible Transportation
    • Airport Arrangements
    • Accessible Accommodations
    • Access to Medical Equipment


    Check it out!
    http://www.abletotravel.org/
    Dave H

  3. #3
    I traveled to the Dominican Republic and noticed that most of the villa rentals are not so good when it comes to wheelchair access for the disabled. There`s an agency that offers some villas, but I see 2 listed out of hundreds
    http://www.goldenkeymanagement.com/w...accessible.htm
    though they say they can customize other villas from their list.

    Will there ever be regulation so more vacation properties will be more wheelchair friendly?

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by rthornton View Post
    Will there ever be regulation so more vacation properties will be more wheelchair friendly?
    Your profile does not state what country you are from, but keep in mind that the ADA only applies to properties within the USA, and most other countries have nothing in law like the ADA. Each country has to pass its own access laws, and 3rd World countries are the least likely to make this any type of priority.

    (KLD)

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Baldwinsville, N.Y.
    Posts
    650
    If you want a great vacation, go on a cruise. Very accessible. I just came back from Labadee and went Jet skiing. All the docks are accessible to go on any excursion. St. Thomas and St. Martin are very easy to wheel around.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cape Town, South Africa
    Posts
    2

    Accessible South Africa Travel

    Here are another 2 accessible travel and accommodations websites for South Africa:
    www.epic-enabled.com - accessible safaris & travel in South Africa
    www.epic-guesthouse.com - accessible accommodation in Cape Town, South Africa

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Orange County, CA
    Posts
    25
    This guy has a good blog on accessible traveling, Bob Wasson
    http://www.ridingandwritingutah.com/

  8. #8
    hi guys,
    thanks for sharing all those useful links!
    I was using recently a vacation rental website that let you browse wheelchair accessible places to stay;
    for example: http://www.homeaway.com/search/refin...air+accessible (yes, I was staying in a cabin in Gatlinburg :-) - 'wheelchair accessibility' check box is on the left.
    I navigated to their 'World Page' to see how many wheelchair frendly places they list - 32,000 (!) - nice - (http://www.homeaway.com/search/refin...air+accessible). hope everyone is well!

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterSolberg View Post
    hi guys,
    thanks for sharing all those useful links!
    I was using recently a vacation rental website that let you browse wheelchair accessible places to stay;
    for example: http://www.homeaway.com/search/refin...air+accessible (yes, I was staying in a cabin in Gatlinburg :-) - 'wheelchair accessibility' check box is on the left.
    I navigated to their 'World Page' to see how many wheelchair frendly places they list - 32,000 (!) - nice - (http://www.homeaway.com/search/refin...air+accessible). hope everyone is well!
    Thanks Peter..I have searched there too..good they have the box to check, but I have found many are not really accessible..http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p619004a for example this is the THIRD one on the list for AFRICA..step into bathroom and two stories...though no step to main entrance..there really is no one overseeing how these are listed...to determine if they really do met at least a minimum criteria for accessibility. But hey it is a good start! Just plan on getting a tired arm reviewing them all to find one that will actually work. happy travels!
    http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p619004a
    "The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda

  10. #10

    Wheelchair accessible rentals

    Quote Originally Posted by sherocksandsherolls View Post
    Thanks Peter..I have searched there too..good they have the box to check, but I have found many are not really accessible..http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p619004a for example this is the THIRD one on the list for AFRICA..step into bathroom and two stories...though no step to main entrance..there really is no one overseeing how these are listed...to determine if they really do met at least a minimum criteria for accessibility. But hey it is a good start! Just plan on getting a tired arm reviewing them all to find one that will actually work. happy travels!
    http://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p619004a
    good observation!
    when I saw 32000 results for accessible rentals I thought, wow, there is so much awerness out there...
    well, somehow those rentals have been qualified as 'accessible', and you're right again "hey it is a good start!" :-) whatever that convenience and access is!

Similar Threads

  1. Keynote Address: Second International Conference on Accessible Tourism
    By srains in forum Recreation, Sports, Travel, & Hobbies
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-31-2007, 09:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •