Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: End of the world hysteria

End of the world hysteria

End of the world hysteria.....
    http://www.thetechherald.com/article...-death-threats

Fear and paranoia is building to a potentially dangerous level as European Nuclear Research Centre (CERN) scientists seeking answers related to the universe’s origins prepare to officially flip the switch on their Large Hadron Collider (LHC) this coming Wednesday.
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

keep it on low setting for awhile.
    oh well

Quote Originally Posted by adi chicago
    End of the world hysteria.....
    http://www.thetechherald.com/article...-death-threats

Fear and paranoia is building to a potentially dangerous level as European Nuclear Research Centre (CERN) scientists seeking answers related to the universe’s origins prepare to officially flip the switch on their Large Hadron Collider (LHC) this coming Wednesday.
    Adi,

Thanks for posting this. It would not have occurred to me that people could be so ignorant and paranoid as to think that this device would lead to some kind of cataclysmic event that could lead to the end of the world. I am simply astonished.

Yes, it is true that the device is the highest energy particle accelerator ever built and one should probably not put one's hand in the beam. On the other hand, the absolute amounts of energy involved (7 TEV) are for such brief periods that it is not that much.

There is no conceivable danger from the device as described in the following document: http://www.aps.org/units/dpf/governa..._statement.pdf . I think that people are reading too many comic books.

Many comic books make up bogus science for the purpose of dramatizing and justifying the creation of their heroes. For example, spiderman arose from the bite of some radioactive spiders. Please...

Wise.

Ha ha sir ....Spiderman arose from the bite of some radioactive spiders ....good one....
    • Dum spiro, spero.
      • Translation: "As long as I breathe, I hope."

particle accelerators are not something unusual or very new. Anyone have/had one in front of his eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young
    It would not have occurred to me that people could be so ignorant and paranoid as to think that this device would lead to some kind of cataclysmic event that could lead to the end of the world. I am simply astonished.
    And some ignorants are doing politics and they decide where public money goes(for example in funding wars). Why people don’t understand that research is good, and war is bad(any war). I have a long story about wars, but is not the case now.

In Europe between 200-1500 some smart ppl were burn for their proven ideas . Same thing happen today but with other tools(veto, no money for research).

Offtopic: I really can’t understand how is some US states alcohol is illegal for teens under 21 years old, but they are good for fight in war, after 18.
    Last edited by cypresss; 09-06-2008 at 02:50 PM.
    This signature left intentionally blank.

The Large Hadron Collider is the largest and most complex scientific instrument ever built and the highest energy particle accelerator in the world. The accelerator is located 100 m underground and runs through both French and Swiss territory.

Year 2008 marks the culmination of 20 years of work by physicists, engineers, technicians and support staff from over 80 different countries.
    isn't the human mind briliant?
    This signature left intentionally blank.

Quote Originally Posted by cypresss

Offtopic: I really can’t understand how is some US states alcohol is illegal for teens under 21 years old, but they are good for fight in war, after 18.

It's all states in the US, and it's because of federal highway funds, though it's now being discussed somewhat. For added stupid, the voting age was 21 during most of Viet Nam till finally lowered to 18. (Draft age) Don't expect logic from our two party system, it will save you brain cells.

Quote Originally Posted by adi chicago
    Ha ha sir ....Spiderman arose from the bite of some radioactive spiders ....good one....

http://www.geocities.com/d_dasylva/spiderman.html

pretty cool sculpture.

This is probably the most exciting thing that could happen in my
    lifetime. Proving the exisitence of the Higgs Field.