Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I had a baby!

I had a baby!

Yep, I've been keeping a secret. Except from Steven, I told him when I first discovered the pregnancy.

My baby has fuzzy grey hair and weighs practically nothing. I'm the proud parent of mourning dove! Several weeks ago I awoke to much bird sqwaking outside my hallway window - a little more than usual. Later when I rolled by it a white round object on top of my australian fern directly outside my window caught my eye. I did a double take and saw a dove sitting on one of the branches. I quickly left as I didn't want to scare it away. When I checked back it was sitting on the egg and there it sat for 2-3 weeks straight - well mom and dad must have been taking turns but I didn't see the exchange until a couple days ago after the blessed birth. I stayed perfectly still while they changed places. They don't like when I watch but I can't help myself it's so cute, when they face me i can see the baby move around under the bird with it's tiny wings. They're not agressive like the hummingbird who ruled the same area a few weeks ago, she would fly at you if you walked to or from one of my front doors, I was worried she would poke me with that beak! Anyway anyone know if I can cause any harm by watching too much, I don't want the parents to smother the poor baby trying to hide it from me or push it out of the fern before it's ready to fledge.

next I want the egrets or herons to birth here
    Last edited by leschinsky; 09-05-2008 at 10:31 PM.
    Embrace uncertainty. Hard problems rarely have easy solutions. Jonah Lehrer

Quote Originally Posted by leschinsky
    Yep, I've been keeping a secret. Except from Steven, I told him when I first discovered the pregnancy.
    omg is Steven the father

(sorry I couldn't resist)

Aw that sounds really great Les. I hope you can get some pictures of the dove when it gets a little bigger. I bet its adorable

Quote Originally Posted by leschinsky
    My baby has fuzzy grey hair and weighs practically nothing.
    I laughed when I read this. It reminded me of Joan Rivers. "I woke up one morning and looked down, and said, "Why am I wearing a bunny slipper? And why is it gray?" - Joan Rivers, on parts that drop

OMG, are you related to that Palin lady? She announced she was pregnant just before she delivered, too! You girls today, so efficient. Back in the olden days, when I had to walk to the hospital to deliver a baby I gestated for 16 months, barefoot in the snow, uphill BOTH ways, it used to be so much work! That's why they used to call it labor. Now they call it 3 days off!

My MIL watches cardinals all day. The teenagers are funny. They look like grown birds but are klutzy, can't fly, squawk for food and generally drive their parents crazy. Birds-They're just like us!

Happy bird watching!

Yes it's steven and my love child, we're going to call it trig

thanks for the nasty images Todd!

A little while ago the baby was completely out beside mom but she got agitated when she saw me and now it's covered.

I hope to get pics soon.

You scared me Les. For a second I thought that John Edwards
    may have had his way with you too.

Watching shouldn't scare them as long as you keep it low key. Big fear are local cats. Our robins reappeared this spring; laid 3 beautiful blue eggs in the pyracanthra bush we have to walk/roll by to leave the house so rarely slowed to peek. Then after I saw the egg blue pieces on the walk....babies! Then in the week they became fledglings bits and pieces of baby bird here and there in the front yard. Damn super animal lovers down the block started feeding feral cats outside again. They have 2 inside dogs from the shelter...cuties. Had an inside cat. But they cleared our area of the damn ferals when the last rabies shotted, spayed cat got hit by a car. So why ask for more? So we now have a "humane" trap ready for next spring, if the robins will come back, to take what we catch to animal control. The purple shot is nicer than being run over by a car and crawling to the side of the road to die. They do rehabilitate kittens and cats deemed salvagable.

Congrats Steven! ;-)
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

How cute Les. Congrats! Can't wait for pics.

Quote Originally Posted by Buck_Nastier
    You scared me Les. For a second I thought that John Edwards
    may have had his way with you too.
    Damn, but I could have gotten a mansion!

Sue my cat isn't allowed out front right now she's been restricted to the backyard. Luckily she doesn't stray far from the deck. She once brought a dead baby bird to the door but I don't think she killed it thankfully, it was quite stiff. However she has caught me talking to the birds outside what used to be her favorite perch, I got double pane windows which don't allow any sitting space for her anymore, she is keenly interested in seeing who I'm talking to. I'm more worried about the crows, last month I saw one snatch a small bird, despite other birds flying at it, and eat it. I was about to yell when I realized it was probably dead by then and the crow might as well use the carcass

The fern is 5-6 ft from the ground and surrounded by gravel so yesterday I was contemplating putting a blanket around it

Today I saw the baby's eyes are open. It's other Mom has it facing away from me.
    Last edited by leschinsky; 09-07-2008 at 06:08 PM.

Yep, seen crows and catbirds take off with babies and fledglings. I'm a dog person but cats are fine as long as they are inside or have a fenced yard with a top. I love being able to plant things to attract Bohemian Waxwings. I'd plant catnip if I wanted cats. But I do understand the desire.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.