Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any Ideas for my daughter's engineering design project?

i would have said airline aisle chair, but been done by UW students and airlines didn't go for it.

i think more voice activated things are needed. but...that's software so prob not applicable to your daughter's project. i know better wheelchair designs are needed, better shower transfer devices...i need to think more on this.

btw, that kitchen looked good except if that is a fridge under microwave, it's too low.

A device that removes hot dishes from the oven/microwave, place it on a nearby surface. (I'm picturing robot arm, too.) A gadget that stirs potatoes while they are frying. I think one exists for soups/sauces, but hot oil is what always nails me. An electric teapot that dispenses from the bottom, no need to pick up the hot liquid until it is in the cup. An agitator that, when placed in a sink of water and dirty dishes, vibrates the water so they are rinsed well enough to go in an avg dishwasher. Chip that goes in socks, really tough and cheap, that you run over something like a barcode reader and it id's the socks...which ones match, who they belong to.

OJ's thoughts bring to mind some kind of a robot arm/hand. It could be controlled by voice, mouth, eye or facial muscles. In a few years, perhaps controlled directly by the brain. Perhaps that's way too complex for a high school project. However - maybe not so far fetched... Quite a few years ago, my kids had a toy robot arm that was controlled by a joystick - those must still be available. Something like that could perhaps be useful. So one interesting part of the project would be adapting the control unit (say, to mouth-controlled) or making a new controller. Remember that a prototype can serve just to demonstrate the concept; it need not be a full blown product.
    What a fun assignment! Sounds like a great class.
    - Richard

p.s. http://pcpowerzone.com/owroarmtr.html
    http://www.hobbytron.com/product634.html
    Last edited by rfbdorf; 09-06-2008 at 10:40 AM.

How about a remote device that will give a dog a treat for those of us that can't reach into a box and pull out a treat ourselves. I've already designed one In Solid Works, a computer aided drafting program, but I'm curious what she would come up with.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

I think my dog just voted for that one rybread. She figures there will be a LOT of testing required on the project!
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

I would love to have some nifty way to hold binoculars and easily control them with my quad mitts

sjean423 - I am a high functioing quad and am always visioning devices to assist in physical therapy, such as mechanically assitive devices to help maintain support and/or proper alignment when you are trying to rebuild muscle groups post injury. My recommendation would be to contact a physical therapist or rehab center like "Craig Hospital" and discuss a type of equipment the therapists wish they had most. This might be a little more complicated, but it is an idea.

Good idea, she is friendly with my former PTs as she went with me a lot.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

She printed out the thread, and showed it to her partner. They like a lot of the ideas. If anyone comes up with anything else, post away!
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Keep us posted on what they choose to do and how it goes!
    - Richard